Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the timing belt and water pump on my forenza. So I lined up all the arrows and removed the timing belt. I removed the 2 idler pulleys. I then noticed that the right cam had moved counter clockwise about 1/2 off its arrow. The left cam, and the crank are still lined up.

My question is, can I just rotate the rich cam with a hex to put it back on its mark? Will this mess something up? I'm sorry if I left out any vital info and thanks in advance!

Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm replacing the timing belt and water pump on my forenza. So I lined up all the arrows and removed the timing belt. I removed the 2 idler pulleys. I then noticed that the right cam had moved counter clockwise about 1/2 off its arrow. The left cam, and the crank are still lined up.

My question is, can I just rotate the rich cam with a hex to put it back on its mark? Will this mess something up? I'm sorry if I left out any vital info and thanks in advance!

Brian
Hi Brian. Just turn the right (exhaust) cam slightly back to the right to get it back on its mark. I believe the bolt is a T-50 torx bit. Once you get the timing marks aligned, take a pair of vise grips and clamp the two sprockets together to hold them in place. Normally, I clamp the sprockets together before I take the belt off. Leave the left idler off when you route the belt starting on the right side. After you get the belt routed around the sprockets, right idler, water pump, etc., slide the left idler in place. Recheck all your timing marks for alignment and if okay, then tension up the belt. There's videos on youtube if you want to see if the procedure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the great tip with the channel locks!

I got the belt on.. And fired her up. She sounds fine.. But when I shut it down.. A second later I hear clack clack. Fairly loud. Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
timing issue

i just replace my timing belt and it will run good then start to sputter. it will stall out when i put any load on it or put it in gear. i have not checked code but the check engine light will start to blink before it starts to sputter. my timing mark are spot on any ideas on what else i can check out.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
off the top of my head i would say something is wrong with the timing. you changed the belt and a blinking check engine light indicates some kind of a missfire. perhaps a slipping belt? maybe the tensioner isnt set correctly. first thing you need to do is to get the code. that will give you some kind of a starting point

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stuzman's advice is great! I just changed my valve cover gasket and plugs/wires after watching his DIY video.
I'm considering the timing belt swap, but may have to watch his video 5 times before I muster up the confidence, lol!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts