Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car died on my way home, I tried and tried to restart it with no luck, we towed it home. then realized it was the timing belt and we then tore into it. the timing belt didnt break but I shredded one of the idle bearings. I have read it can do engine damage if the belt breaks but will it cause engine damage if its just the bearing that was the problem?

also after trying to start it so many times I am sure the timing is off, what is the propper way of getting that back to spec?

should there be play in the cam shafts? I can not turn the exhaust side but the intake side has about 45* of play. is that normal?

and I have the standard transmission if that makes a difference

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
ok first im not a mechanic lolol now lets start at the beginning with the quick explanation, sorry if i leave something out. simply put if something in the timing system broke an interfered in some way with the how the belt moves there is a chance youve hurt the engine. also if you try to move one component without the others moving theres a chance you have now damaged the engine. the reno/forenza have whats called an interference engine. the pistons and the valves move under extremely tight tolerances if something messes with the timing your piston can come into contact with your valves bending the valves. if you move the crank without the cams moving your then forcing the pistons up into the valves bending them. the same if you move one of the cam shafts. ok so now how to get the engine back to top dead center? the way to do it, i believe, is to actually remove the camshafts so the valves can move freely and the crank can be turned without causing them damage. i dont think the whole head needs to come off to move the crank. now the question is this, do you take the chance that the valves are ok put everything back together and try to start the car OR, remove the head, inspect for damage, repair as needed and then put everything back together and try to start the car? thats really up to you and what risk your willing to take with the car. we'll try to help with whatever questions you may have. ultimately you may just want to have a mechanic take a look and see what they think. heres a copy of the online service manual. it can help explain how the engine works and whats involved in the repair better than i can explain it.
Daewoo Service Manual
any other questions or explanations needed just ask!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts