Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just got a P0420 error which can mean that either the sensor is done or the cat has a problem (clogged or broken). Before replacing the cat or sensor I would like to first try to clean it. I have seen many method to clean it (by either putting thinner in it or products).
I also saw a video from india where they put a cleaning product (highly suspect of detergent) at the oxygen sensor then rinse thoroughly.
Does anyone have experience with cleaning ? What do you think of putting a mix of detergent and water at the place of the sensor then rinsing it ? What about cleaners ?
Thank and take care !

Link to the indian cleaning video :

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Graph fuel trims at idle and 3000, rpms, also graph upstream and downstream sensors, this will tell whether you have a sensor issue, a possible cat issue or a fuel/intake problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Graph fuel trims at idle and 3000, rpms, also graph upstream and downstream sensors, this will tell whether you have a sensor issue, a possible cat issue or a fuel/intake problem
What do you mean by graph fuel trim ?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Use a basic elm based dingle and the torque app on a phone to graph the fuel trims and the sensor data to determine where to start looking. Replacing parts without determining they are faulty, or undertaking repairs without determination of the cause of failure can be a costly exercise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a basic elm based dingle and the torque app on a phone to graph the fuel trims and the sensor data to determine where to start looking. Replacing parts without determining they are faulty, or undertaking repairs without determination of the cause of failure can be a costly exercise.
Yes i agree with you. So i can use my OBD2 linked to the car to check these info. Great news!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Unless your one is a diesel, or been misfiring for a while, or is burning a lot of oil its unlikely to be a clogged or dirty cat. Its more than likely a dead or dying sensor but you need to prove it. The efficiency code can be caused by air leaks so testing by getting fuel trim data at idle and 3000 will indicate if the potential fir a leak exists.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless your one is a diesel, or been misfiring for a while, or is burning a lot of oil its unlikely to be a clogged or dirty cat. Its more than likely a dead or dying sensor but you need to prove it. The efficiency code can be caused by air leaks so testing by getting fuel trim data at idle and 3000 will indicate if the potential fir a leak exists.
Thank you for the info and help. Will check and update.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Update about my issue. I solved it, and unintentionally. Spoiler alert, it was the battery.

2 weeks ago we had to go to the market, we went to the car tried to start it, BUT a click and an exhausted starter sound... The battery was dead... Anyway, found jumper cables jumped the car and went directly to a workshop to check the battery. He checked and told me it was dead. Was not expecting that. Anyway, I do not know the workshop so I wanted to double check the info. First I tested the battery with a multimeter, everything seems fine (never go bellow 10v) and then went to the spare parts dealer and made a check with him. He told me that the battery was a little worn. It could go for a couple of time but in cold weather (-10 to -15C) it might make problems, he advise me to change it within 6month. Anyway I decided to buy a new battery and an Oxygen Sensor to replace both. He ordered the sensor and replaced the battery. Went on with my day and after driving half an hour I noticed the engine light went off! Double cheked with the OBD no fault. I was surprised !
Seems the problem was a battery a little worn.

So for electronical problem, if you are not sure, first check the battery.

Case closed.

PS : it has been 600k so since I changed the battery and still no light.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,835 Posts
That is why we recommend checking POWER and GROUNDS..

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
First on the battery then on the modules... No computer will work correctly with poor power...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First on the battery then on the modules... No computer will work correctly with poor power...
Unfortunately I could not access under the car so I could not check easily. And also I totally did not imagine the battery problem since they were no symptoms at all. But yes I agree with you on that. But for information, what should be the reading there? 12v?

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
Battery voltage with a loaded circuit, Voltage drop test.. Dont forget the body and engine grounds..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Battery voltage with a loaded circuit, Voltage drop test.. Dont forget the body and engine grounds..
Apologies for not being good at electronics on car. But is a difference in voltage is expected between the ground of the engine and the ground of the body ?
Also what i did to test the battery myself was : put the multimeter on the battery pole (power and ground) and have a direct look at the reading. When starting it would go as low as 10.xx volt then once started up to 14. Then run for 5min. Stop the car. Leave the lights on 5-10min and redo the same procedure and check any drop bellow 10. And no it still did not go under 10v.

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
If the battery is draining to 10vdc, it need to be replaced, a good battery fully charged is 12.6vdc...

Have you fully charged the battery, connected to a charger from the mains (house power|) at least over night..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the battery is draining to 10vdc, it need to be replaced, a good battery fully charged is 12.6vdc...

Have you fully charged the battery, connected to a charger from the mains (house power|) at least over night..
Well as told above i am a novice in car electronic. Shouldn't the reading go down when starting up due to the starter draining power ? İf so what should be the expected reading?

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
Rather than sit and type for 1/2hr, this will show you all you need to know

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
When starting it would go as low as 10.xx volt then once started up to 14. Then run for 5min. Stop the car. Leave the lights on 5-10min and redo the same procedure and check any drop bellow 10. And no it still did not go under 10v.
I think what he is saying is the battery voltage drops to around 10V whilst cranking - this, in my opinion, is not unusual.

Reactions: Naboula01

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
But....below 10.6 can cause issues. If the battery is getting low on capacity, it doesn't take much below 10.6 to cause the various computers to get scrambled

Reactions: Naboula01
1 - 20 of 21 Posts