Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I have been driving a 2005 Ignis x45 for a few years now. I have always observed that the car is very uncomfortable over rough roads because the original suspension is too hard. Recently, I discovered my car is fitted with a sport suspension in front and this might be a reason for the harsh ride. Can I replace it with regular front struts without affecting the ride height? And where can I get the front struts to buy at a reasonable price? Please your recommendations are welcome.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Isn't the ride height determined by the springs not the struts?

Or am I misinterpreting what you're saying here?

(I don't know the answer by the way)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,978 Posts
The strut is comprised of the shock and spring combination... yes the ride height is dictated by the spring height, but if the spring is extended the need for a longer shock is evident..

The shock is what determines the amount of give, so a calmer shock would give a softer ride... and possibly mushy wobble...

·
Registered
865 Posts
The springs absorb the compression shock and the Shock Absorbers reduce the spring bounce speed (decompression). The springs the OP wants will be softer and will determine the ride height.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
The springs absorb the compression shock and the Shock Absorbers reduce the spring bounce speed (decompression). The springs the OP wants will be softer and will determine the ride height.
No, not quite right. The springs will have a faster compression rate (faster to compress) but should not affect the ride height as they should be sized to give same ride height.
Shock also determines damping rate (compression) and rebound (extension), fitting "softer" springs on a stiff sport style shock could make the ride "choppy" rather than softer. By this I mean an initial compress of the spring and damper until the damper takes over, resulting in a solid thump rather than a nice soft waft across a bump

·
Registered
484 Posts
... but the car MAY have been fitted with lowering springs.

I suggest that the OP needs to explain his/her statement "I discovered my car is fitted with a sport suspension in front " - how did you find out? - what has been fitted?

·
Registered
865 Posts
The OP is looking for Rally Shocks. Buying standard everyday aftermarket stuff is not the answer.

This is a good movie that explains stuff;

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
The OP is looking for Rally Shocks. Buying standard everyday aftermarket stuff is not the answer.

This is a good movie that explains stuff;
Read his post again, he wants to replace them with "standard" struts to soften the ride without sacrificing height.

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I have been driving a 2005 Ignis x45 for a few years now. I have always observed that the car is very uncomfortable over rough roads because the original suspension is too hard. Recently, I discovered my car is fitted with a sport suspension in front and this might be a reason for the harsh ride. Can I replace it with regular front struts without affecting the ride height? And where can I get the front struts to buy at a reasonable price? Please your recommendations are welcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am really intrigued by the discussion gentlemen, and I really appreciate the attention.
I discovered my car is fitted with sport suspension struts when I looked at it in the Service Manual for my model of Ignis. And truly the front suspension is very hard even when you press it at standstill.

From the service manual, there are two types of struts for the 2006 Ignis X45; the Standard struts and the Sport struts.
I strongly believe the Sport struts would be harder to improve handling.
So I wish to replace it with the standard struts provided it will maintain the ride height.

Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 10.47.59 PM.png

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the image above you’ll find the Standard struts labeled ‘A’ and the Sport struts labeled ‘B’.

·
Registered
484 Posts
OK - it's becoming clearer. :)

Going on a different tack I've found this:

SUZUKI Ignis Sport 2003 - 2006
Home > Cars > SUZUKI > Ignis > SUZUKI Ignis Sport (2003 - 2006)
Body style: SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle)
Segment: Compact

The Suzuki Ignis Sport is, just like its name suggests, a sportier version of the popular Ignis introduced by the Japanese manufacturer in 2000.
Also marketed as Swift Sport, the 2003 model came in a 3-door hatchback version equipped with a 1.5 liter engine developing 115 powerhorse. However, due to the European regulations, the power released by the car was reduced to 109 powerhorse. And because it is a sportier vehicle, it has a sport exhaust, an advanced suspension system and metallic pedals as well as a lowered chassis and upgraded panels.

Plus wikipedia:

Following its use in the 2002 World Rally Championship season, Suzuki introduced the Ignis Sport in 2003, a performance-oriented version based on the three-door body style. Badged the "Swift Sport" in Japan, the performance model utilised the same 1.5-litre engine as the regular car, but with power increased to 85 kW (116 PS; 114 hp). The engine was slightly detuned for the European market, to 80 kW (109 PS; 107 hp). The car featured a number of modifications, including a body kit, lowered and firmer suspension, close ratio gear box and tuned exhaust. The Sport has the roof bars removed which were standard on the normal Ignis. Recaro sport seats are included in the cabin, white instrument dials with blue illumination and carbon effect panels to increase its sporty appeal. The Ignis Sport can accelerate from 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 8.9 seconds and has a top speed of 185 km/h (115 mph). The Sport ceased production in 2005. It was only available in a limited selection of colours: red, blue, silver, black and yellow. Various optional extras were available including metallic pedals, driving lights in the bumper and front mesh grille.

Looks like the ride height would change if you do what you're thinking. Had you thought of including the rear suspension too? Will the car be unbalanced if you do just the front?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot for your hard work. I must say that my car is a 1.3cc four door hatchback, which is different from the typical three door 1.5cc Ignis Sport. The ground clearance is also higher than the later.
Interesting, the front struts is just as the sport struts in the above picture. I can also say the rear suspension is soft enough hence I wish to change only the front.

·
Registered
484 Posts
OK - I'd started a posting postulating that previously but abandoned it when I concluded you had the sport model.

So...............

You've confirmed that your car has have the front suspension changed in the past - so I don't see why you can't put the normal suspension back on. But all the parts are different so it's going to be an expensive task?

·
Registered
865 Posts
my car is a 1.3cc four door hatchback,
Interesting, the front struts is just as the sport struts in the above picture.
I've never heard of X45 before this.

I'm rather certain that you could find someone to swap the stuff from their standard model for free - I would if you were in my area, which you are not.

Be careful to ensure it is a straight swap, as the Sport running gear is nothing like the non-Sport in many ways.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really wish I could strike such a swap deal. Unfortunately the Ignis in general is not a common car in Ghana. I have tried to source a suitable strut replacement online but has been unsuccessful. Even a used Strut set in good condition would have been great. For now I would have to do with what I have.

Thank you so much for the help. In case anyone would have used front struts in great condition, please let me know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts