Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can someone please help me out. I just purchased a 2006 Grand Vitara. The low beam head lights are not working properly. The bulb in it is part # 9003 and is the wrong bulb because very little light is emitting from the low beams and also because it does not seat properly in the casing. I went to check the proper low beam and it is calling for a H7. The problem with this is that the H7 is a 2 prong and my low beam connector has a 3 prong connection. I have tried to figure this out but i am stumped. I am not sure if the previous owner changed the housing or the connectors and i do not have a manual.
thanks
greg

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hello, you need to clarify what model vehicle you have. You've posted in the 1G 2001-2006 XL-7 forum - is that what you've got? If it is, then you need to fit a H4 bulb, which does have a 3 prong electrical connector.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hello, you need to clarify what model vehicle you have. You've posted in the 1G 2001-2006 XL-7 forum - is that what you've got? If it is, then you need to fit a H4 bulb, which does have a 3 prong electrical connector.
Sorry, just to clarify, he has posted in the correct thread. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
...if you fit the bulb upside down as my mate did on his Ford with the same bulb then the beam pattern disappears, turning into a hazy mush on the floor.

Make sure the tang is located.

That said if you bought cheap bulbs they can be as focused as my eyes after a few beers :cool:

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts
Sorry, just to clarify, he has posted in the correct thread.
No, I moved it here. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses and help. Since I don't have a manual that came with the GVT, i had to go to a mechanic shop and they looked up the problem. The person who owned the vehicle and replaced the light bulb did not put back the housing that the light bulb plugged into. They bought a 3 prong light bulb and put it in the hole and plugged in the 3 prong connector of the truck. UGH!!!! Therefore the housing that locks into the light assembly was completely missing. That's why the light bulb was melting the actual light casing. I hope i explained that correctly.
2ndly would anyone know where i could purchase a used front right catalytic converter. The one connected to the manifold? Mine is all plugged up and my engine light is on. I cannot pass emissions.
regards
greg
p.s. patience people i am new to forums and am trying to learn how to maneuver and write in proper areas :)

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts
Review the "Newbie" post...
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/new-member-area-introduction/64401-welcome-all-newbies-start-here.html

Armed with that knowledge you will see that we need the engine type / size and your location, the second to assist in parts nearest to you. The first is obvious. Any history too.

What's a GVT?

On the Cat that you need...assuming the H27 engine here, isn't that first (pre)Cat PART of the exhaust manifold (one assembly)? :huh:

Do you have "codes"? Have you scanned? What are they?

Have you entertained the O2 sensors, as in replaced any?

Welcome aboard too! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi thanks for the response. All i know from my ownership is that it is a 2006 grand vitara. model GVT 2.7L engine v6 type TY. i live in toronto canada. The o2 sensors were changed but the readouts say that it is the catalytic. The code that came up was P0420. catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1. thats all i have on the emissions.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts
2.7L (H27 engine), then I believe that the first Cat is part of the Exhaust Manifold assembly...

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

Failure of that item is quite rare as seen on this forum. Typically the coding is cause by an erratic or non-operational O2 sensor or the MAIN Cat failure downstream.

If the pre-Cat is indeed "plugged" there may be a possibility to clean it out of debris, although I am not personally aware of such a procedure. I have "gutted" them in other vehicle applications, but I'm not recommending same.

If you want to peruse replacement of the pre-Cat / manifold, this used parts data base that supports the USA and Canada might be handy. New ones are available via the link above.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
83 Posts
Greg,

Where did you find a Cat for an excellent price?
I'm in desperate need of a left one, has a hole in it.

Did you find an original or aftermarket?

Thanks, Puk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi can you explain more about the warranty for the catalytic's in canada? How can i get mine replaced under warranty and what has to be wrong with it?
thanks
greg

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
hi can you explain more about the warranty for the catalytic's in canada? How can i get mine replaced under warranty and what has to be wrong with it?
thanks
greg
As long as it is the cat that failed and not the result of another problem damaging it. Mine was replaced because a rust hole developped in it. It is mentioned in the owner's manual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts