Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change out the motor from the top of a 2006 Grand Vitara 2.7. And if so what needs to be undone to do so. Thanks ahead of time. For information.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
are you asking if you remove the motor from the top of the car? or wanting to remove what off the engine?

·
Super Moderator
18,017 Posts
Have you downloaded the Service Manual and viewed the contents within yet? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. Sure did. There suggestion is out the bottom. Someone posted at one time. Removing it from the top. So I was hoping for some information on that. I don’t have have a lift for the car to go that high. To remove from bottom. 😊

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
The factory service manual tells you to remove it from the bottom for the H27, along with gearbox and transfer case and from the top for the 4 cyl models. You can remove it from the top, but finding suitable lifting points on the V6 might be an issue.
Start with the car on ramps, or tall stands, you will find you won't have to lift the body much once its down on the ground.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,017 Posts
Start with the car on ramps, or tall stands, you will find you won't have to lift the body much once its down on the ground.
As in removing the engine from beneath??? :rolleyes:

My similar H25 measured 33" from top to bottom. That was an engine removal height struggle from ABOVE!

Add to that whatever landing device used to support / roll out the engine once lowered for extraction, then you are in vehicle precarious (read very dangerous) sky-high territory with regard to lifting the vehicle for non-whole vehicle hoist engine removal, no?

Yes, you could shorten the overall engine height with significant top-end engine disassembly / component removal, but would one want to do that with both the existing engine and a perfectly intact / viable donor engine? I think not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. This engine has lift points already on it. Which I find strange. If you can’t lift it out from the top. The new motor sits level at the lift points. Again thank you for the information. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
As in removing the engine from beneath??? :rolleyes:
yep, I find its a lot easier to do it as the manual suggests and drop engine, trans and transfer as a unit. you can do it from the top if you want the aggravation of trying to get the bell housing bolts undone in situ.

·
Super Moderator
18,017 Posts
You are missing the point. The OP mentioned early on that engine from beneath removal was Service Manual suggested, but he has not the facility (vehicle hoist) to do same and was inquiring about engine removal from above.

Your suggestion of ramps, stands and body lifting for engine drop removal from below sounds shakey at best, and affords insufficient vehicle height to safely accomplish the task in that manner IMO.

·
Super Moderator
18,017 Posts
CMG. Here is a link to earlier model GV engine removal information. Some of the steps and pointers may extend to your situation.

I'm hoping that other members with actual engine removal from above techniques for your model / year will chime in. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts