Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
im not sure i would just splice them all together. theres a lot more wires than in the older model car. i have no idea what the other wires are for. this may sound silly but, did you check both bulbs and make sure that theyre both good? if one headlight goes bad they both go out. you could also check the harness where it runs behind the drivers side fender. its been known to rub through the wires and ground out. i might be out of ideas after that. sorry im not great with the electrical system.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've read that and would have already done it but my block does not look like the one pictured in this tread. I will try and post picture below.

Do you recommend I splice all like colors together?
That is splice pack 202, also behind the instrument cluster. Took me a while to figure that one out because of the discoloration of the wires in positions 1-4 (from right to left, as we're viewing the rear of the connector). I could not find brown wires in the wiring diagram, and it turns out they're NOT brown at all, but light blue (follow the wires down a bit)!

Anyways, this splice pack is responsible for the blinker output (pink) to turn signals (dark blue=right, light blue=left). The green+white stripe wires go to the speed sensor, instrument cluster and the TCM. For bonus points: I see the wire that goes in position 5 (TCM) is in position 9. Your car has a standard transmission, yes?
IMO the splice pack service was either not done, or they did the wrong one. Hey, it happens!

Splice pack 201 is what you need to find and fix. Refer to the previous posts in this thread for the details. If I recall correctly, it is over to the top left side behind the instrument cluster. You're close, don't give up yet!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks!

That is splice pack 202, also behind the instrument cluster. Took me a while to figure that one out because of the discoloration of the wires in positions 1-4 (from right to left, as we're viewing the rear of the connector). I could not find brown wires in the wiring diagram, and it turns out they're NOT brown at all, but light blue (follow the wires down a bit)!

Anyways, this splice pack is responsible for the blinker output (pink) to turn signals (dark blue=right, light blue=left). The green+white stripe wires go to the speed sensor, instrument cluster and the TCM. For bonus points: I see the wire that goes in position 5 (TCM) is in position 9. Your car has a standard transmission, yes?
IMO the splice pack service was either not done, or they did the wrong one. Hey, it happens!

Splice pack 201 is what you need to find and fix. Refer to the previous posts in this thread for the details. If I recall correctly, it is over to the top left side behind the instrument cluster. You're close, don't give up yet!

I am happy I did not tear into Sp202 but waited for your informative reply! I've been busily checking voltages, jumping connections and checking for ground. I'm going to stop all that foolishness and get sp201 in front of me and hope it is indeed the source of my problems as determining if the DRL module or DRL relay are bad is not something I wish to continue.

Your the man!

·
Registered
9 Posts
im not sure i would just splice them all together. theres a lot more wires than in the older model car. i have no idea what the other wires are for. this may sound silly but, did you check both bulbs and make sure that theyre both good? if one headlight goes bad they both go out. you could also check the harness where it runs behind the drivers side fender. its been known to rub through the wires and ground out. i might be out of ideas after that. sorry im not great with the electrical system.
I know the bulbs and thier grounds are good cause I can jump power to the low beam fuses and they light right up.

I've heard about the harness and will keep it in mind if the splice block 201 fix does not kick the lights on for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealer repaired the wrong splice the block

I felt like a kid on Christmas morning opening up the instrument panel this morning. Look what I got! It's my problem in all its blackened glory.

I am having problems getting pictures to show. There should be one below.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110825526907579146288/albums/5750542712169437281/5750542716893507106

The previous owner claims the lights were working fine when I bought the car. What are the odds?

I am contemplating taking it to the dealer and making them fix it and right this time. What do you guys think about that? Should I trust them?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow. That's really bad. Glad you found it.
You could get the dealer to fix it, I believe.
You could fix it yourself, also. I sent you a PM with instructions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought about it for a minute. Not worth the hassle. I had it spliced, soldered and the dash back together before I could have even explained what was going on and making an appointment at a Suzuki dealer. I am just glad the ordeal is over and my daughter can drive her new car at night.

...and yes the car has a manual transmission! My favorite thing about the internet is forums like this one where people that are truly experts help those that need it.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

For future reference by those that may need it Pictured below are splice blocks behind instrument cluster in front of steering wheel: On right S202 controls turn signal splice of pink wires was incorrect. On left S201 controls low beam & DRL splice of purple wires fixed my issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought about it for a minute. Not worth the hassle. I had it spliced, soldered and the dash back together before I could have even explained what was going on and making an appointment at a Suzuki dealer. I am just glad the ordeal is over and my daughter can drive her new car at night.

...and yes the car has a manual transmission! My favorite thing about the internet is forums like this one where people that are truly experts help those that need it.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

For future reference by those that may need it Pictured below are splice blocks behind instrument cluster in front of steering wheel: On right S202 controls turn signal splice of pink wires was incorrect. On left S201 controls low beam & DRL splice of purple wires fixed my issue.

Thank you for the help! I had my '04 Forenza serviced for the recall last month when the problem first showed and was intermittent. This did not fix the problem and I have been driving fog and high only for a month now since low-beams stopped working entirely.

The dealer only repaired one of the splice packs (with pink), and did not touch the other (with purple). I pulled the second pack out from behind the instrument panel; half of it was charred black, and no repair had been attempted. I spliced the wires myself and now the low-beams work correctly. If not for the picture above I might not have realized the dealer only repaired half of the problem (the half that was working just fine, it seems...) and sent me packing.

Big thanks to you and everybody in the thread. =]

·
Registered
1 Posts
No low beam headlights

Hello everyone, I bought a 2006 Forenza with auto transmission about three years ago, and about two years ago I got a Recall Letter from Suzuki about the wiring harness and the splice pack, they said they will notify me when parts were available. Then, my car would not get out of park unless I override it by pushing the switch with a key. I replaced the brake switch, and only lasted two weeks., so I kept using the key. A year later, they sent me another letter and I contacted the San Antonio Suzuki dealer, the shop manager said there were no parts and that I should wait for another letter. :mad:
Then, my daylight running lights were out, they will come on only when the engine was running. Since I had to have my car inspected, I decided to fix it myself, I found this forum, follow the instructions, fix the splice pack and everything works now, including the brake switch. My car passed inspection on 1/14/2015, but when I came back and check the fuse box, I noticed that some relays were hot still, or at least warm. I also notice how thin most of the wires used around the car are. Suzuki did a terrible job at this. I also noticed that if you step on the brakes for about a minute or more, the switch becomes very hot, and unbearable if left on longer.
Anyway I have some more pictures of the splice pack from my 2006 Forenza Automatic.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
glad you found the forum and were able to get the car fixed. I dont think the relays getting warm should be a problem. the power going through them can warm them up.
welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the help! This would make sense, she was complaining of burnt wire smell a couple weeks ago. I will take look this week end. Thanks again :)

Update: Thanks Again to all for the INFO! This saved me so much time trying finde the issue. It was in fact the spice pack. It was fairly easy to get at and, easy to repair. took about 1/2 hour.

Thanks again!
would you mind sharing this information I need to fix this

21 - 34 of 34 Posts