Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Grand Vitara with low kms (80,000) keeps losing power randomly after driving for about 15 mins. Have had no issues in the past but has recently started losing revs and all power suddenly. If idling, revs will drop to half of what they normally are and engine will struggle not to stall. When driving, the car will lose all ability to accelerate and revs will bog down low.
Strange as no engine light comes on (it works fine) and after mechanic checked the computer, there was no history of fault on the engine computer showing. Car serviced regularly. Mechanic referred to the issue as the engine "retarding" itself.
Issue is inconsistent and getting slowly worse.

Have already tried:
  • running a high octane fuel through the engine
  • Changing the ignition leads for the spark plugs.

Thinking that it may be an issue with the throttle position sensor or an electrical shorting somewhere?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Start by checking the EGR valve, if that's sticking open, or not snapping shut when control is removed from it you will get the symptoms you are describing.

Reactions: jmoffat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by checking the EGR valve, if that's sticking open, or not snapping shut when control is removed from it you will get the symptoms you are describing.
Thanks for that advice.
Where do I find that valve? and what does EGR stand for?
cheers

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Before we go any further what is your mechanical skill level like?

Its located (function wise)between the exhaust and inlet manifolds and i think its electricity controlled on your model meaning it has a plug, not vacuum lines.

A thorough clean and carbon removal in all the passages, valve and lines would be a good starting point

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Before we go any further what is your mechanical skill level like?

Its located (function wise)between the exhaust and inlet manifolds and i think its electricity controlled on your model meaning it has a plug, not vacuum lines.

A thorough clean and carbon removal in all the passages, valve and lines would be a good starting point
My Mechanical skill is pretty basic.
I can get by doing basic services and simple processes but im not trained at all.
I will do some research on that and possibly have a look if i can.
Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts