Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a remanufactured motor installed in my '05 XL7, now the trans starts out in 3rd gear. the engine mechanic retraced the wiring as did 2 separate trans co.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
now the trans starts out in 3rd gear.
Have a read through your owner's manual. I'm sure I've read of some user selectable setting that causes that to happen - for low traction conditions to help avoid wheel spin. It might be related. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking it is a connection that was not reconnected proper. When i start the engine, the indicator light shows 4 wheel drive engaged. I went and picked it up from the tranny shop, and going to go over every connection and wire that may be incorrect or possibly damaged. I was hoping perhaps someone had experienced this already and could save me alot of time and money.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey Spinner, Why are you looking for the issue... the Mechanic that put your Engine in should be hunting down the issue as he is the one that has caused the problem...

OK.. so two transmission places have looked for the problem and cannot find it yet there is a problem so they have not done their job properly

Since I do not own a Automatic its hard for me to offer any real help but I am pretty certain that the Auto trans has a seperate ECU called the Transmission Control Unit..

It could be that this has gone faulty ? As it would explain the 4WD light being on when its not, the Vehicle not changing gears when it should..

So just to clear things up a little... Could you get a Video of whats going on.. Its a bit hard to see in text the exact issue but a video would help us step closer in the right direction..
There are some pretty dialed in guys on this forum if they can see the issue, they can probably get a better idea of what it could be....

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Have a read through your owner's manual. I'm sure I've read of some user selectable setting that causes that to happen - for low traction conditions to help avoid wheel spin. It might be related. ;)
Found what I vaguely recalled:
3 or 2
Use this position to provide extra power when climbing hills, or to provide engine braking when going down hills.
Note:
In this position, if the Power mode selector switch is turned to the "P" position, the transmission will not downshift into "L" (Low)
I don't know if that info is any use?

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
Since I do not own a Automatic its hard for me to offer any real help but I am pretty certain that the Auto trans has a seperate ECU called the Transmission Control Unit..
As far as I know all the XL-7s had a single PCM (Powertrain Control Module) that handles engine, auto transmission & 4WD control - some early Grand Vitaras had the functions separated, but this may have varied with the market they were built for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Magnat007, Due to those others who said they could fix the issues i'm having with my Suzuki and thier not being able to fix them once i had it towed to them, i am forced to take the matter in my own hands, or leave it sitting on thier lots. I took it for a short spin, the auto starts out in 4th, but can be pulled into 3rd by the shifter, it has reverse, so i'm missing 1st,2nd,and5th. I have bbeen trying to find an expanded illustration and wiring diagram of the trans. I am wondering if these group of gears are related through a common electric connection, or perhaps a common pump that may have been damaged in the motor change. Also on the bottom of the bellhousing there is a bracket with about a 10mm diameter bolt that has nothing mounted to it, yet there is a clean section of threads as though something was mounted there. Since Suzuki has pulled out of the states here, the local dealer is not helpfull, and in fact Quite rude.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That bracket was likely for the o2 sensor. They are held with the engine bolts and sometimes are broken when they come off.
Some of the connectors on the transmission and transfer case can be crossed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Magnat007, Due to those others who said they could fix the issues i'm having with my Suzuki and thier not being able to fix them once i had it towed to them, i am forced to take the matter in my own hands, or leave it sitting on thier lots. I took it for a short spin, the auto starts out in 4th, but can be pulled into 3rd by the shifter, it has reverse, so i'm missing 1st,2nd,and5th. I have bbeen trying to find an expanded illustration and wiring diagram of the trans. I am wondering if these group of gears are related through a common electric connection, or perhaps a common pump that may have been damaged in the motor change. Also on the bottom of the bellhousing there is a bracket with about a 10mm diameter bolt that has nothing mounted to it, yet there is a clean section of threads as though something was mounted there. Since Suzuki has pulled out of the states here, the local dealer is not helpfull, and in fact Quite rude.

You have no diagnostic codes what so ever in the computer?
Sounds like a electrical issue to me.
If the transmission pump was damaged upon install of the engine you would not be able to drive the car.

I would look into transmission range switch and shift solenoids, as said above should be the shop who installed the engines responsibility to fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes i've read through the owners manual, I think pulling the selector down in a lower gear is far from a "user selectable setting" that could be causing such a symtom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Magna, the machanic pulled code that pointed to a bad solenoid, Suzuki did not have one, or would not sell one, would only sell a new transmission. He was able to find one eventualy and still had the problem. It required a new TCM to fix the problem. Thank you much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
empty bolt on bell housing

Can some one tell me what is supposed to be mounted to this bolt? I have my Suzuki back from the mechanic, but perhaps not all of it. The 4wd is not engaging, but can hear what sounds like a solenoid. From the looks of the threads, something has been connected here. It is on the bellhousing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rubber bracket

Can someone identify what is supposed to be harnessed in this rubber bracket, and I have these threaded holes that are clean, so I suspect something was bolted here. I can't find any details on these, and I need to know, so I can be informed when I go back to the mechanic. HELP! I am $6,000+ into a new engine, missing parts and have neither, 4wd, or confidence in this car as it sits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts