Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased a beautiful 2005 Suzuki XL7 from my mechanic who was selling it on behalf of his uncle. It is in great shape and drives well.

Even though it has what I would consider to be "traditional keys", I have noticed that the door locks and alarm seem quite dependent on the key FOB.

At this time, I only have one key fob.

I have two keys. I was not given the info about ordering a new fob. I have asked my mechanic to ask his uncle if there is any more info on that.

But what I would REALLY LIKE TO KNOW is this:

Is there a way to lock and unlock the car using just the regular keys WITHOUT setting off the alarm?

I ask this for a few reasons. I can imagine a scenario like if something happens to the one fob that I have (ex. loss or malfunction) then I will be dependent on using the car key to lock/unlock. But doing that seems to trigger the alarm. Am I correct?

I also may want to be able to leave the car unlocked sometimes. I know this may sound counter intuitive to safety, but there are times where I might want to park somewhere and not have my car look like there might be something inside to break in for example, certain surf spots. I plan to use a lock box for my key and sometimes having the car unlocked with nothing valuable inside is just better.

Any advice on how to disable the alarm and/or just a way to lock and unlock the car without the fob would be helpful. Answers to both of these questions would be of immense help.

Thank-you!

~ j

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
I think that you have a couple of choices...
1. Purchase an after-market FOB for the additional remote need.
2. Use only the key system to access / secure the vehicle.

Reactions: jbirrrrrrd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that you have a couple of choices...
1. Purchase an after-market FOB for the additional remote need.
2. Use only the key system to access / secure the vehicle.
Thanks Max!

I have only experimented a bit.

But when I tried using just the key to lock and unlock, it caused the alarm to go off. So then I had to use the fob to turn the alarm off. I am totally fine with going "fobless" as long as I am not setting the alarm off every time.

My next experiment was going to be to unlock it using the fob to unlock. Then leaving the door open so it does not automatically lock and putting the fob at safe distance, then going back up to car and trying to do it all with the key.

I am worried about setting off the alarm and disturbing neighbors so I have been waiting to experiment more.

I did not know that there are aftermarket FOBs. That is good to know! Thank-you!

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
So what you are saying is that the doors automatically lock and alarm is set on their own then? Thus you need to then use the FOB to secure the alarm / unlock the doors, huh.

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Yep. After-market FOB 's are out there. You need to match the freq stated on yours, ensure that programming instruction accompany the purchase and that the outfit is reputable and will allow returns IF not compatible

Reactions: jbirrrrrrd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what you are saying is that the doors automatically lock and alarm is set on their own then? Thus you need to then use the FOB to secure the alarm / unlock the doors, huh.
Yes. So far it kind of seems that way? I have not had the car long enough to map it's behaviors precisely. Today I went to our local farmers market and left the window open. When I came back I tried to unlock it with the key and the alarm went off so I had to disarm it with the FOB.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,517 Posts
The first thing to consider when speaking of alarms and FOBs, is the FOB/Alarm Suzuki product or an after market add on ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi. Yeah. Thank-you. Looking at the FOB it looks like it may be after market for sure. I think the guy who owned it before me had them programmed at an auto place couple of towns over. I got the name of the place and I am going to go talk to them soon about getting another FOB and getting them programmed so they both work. So far I have noticed that it is not actually locking on it's own but it does ARM the alarm even if I don't lock the car, Not sure that is a bad thing. I just need to remember to disarm with the FOB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts