Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only getting 15 mpg, even after changing cat converter, oxygen sensors (both), air filter, cleaning fuel injectors, changing spark plugs and boots! About to drive this damn thing off a cliff! Somebody help!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2005 Suzuki Aerio Sport which is getting awful gas mileage: average 15 miles per gallon city on this 4 cyllinder! I’ve changed the cat converter, air filter, both oxygen sensors, cleaned fuel injectors, changed spark plugs, oil, transmission fluid. What is going on!!! Please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,168 Posts
Have you checked for dragging brakes, etc.?

Also, depending on driving style, engine size, etc., 15 mpg might well be an acceptable figure - I, or to be more precise, my daughter gets less than that driving my J20 engined Grand Vitara (the J20 is the same engine used in the 2.0 Aerio)

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
have you actually diagnosed the reason for the mileage or just fired the parts cannon and hoped?
What codes do you have?
What are long and short term fuel trim graphs like?
Checked for air leaks / split hoses?

as always, diagnose and find the cause first

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the ideas! I originally had a P0420 code, Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold pop up and ate the cost of replacing the cat converter. Been suffering poor gas mileage since then! It's been a money pit, but I love this little car! I think I'll take your advice and have a mechanic diagnose it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Thanks so much for the ideas! I originally had a P0420 code, Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold pop up and ate the cost of replacing the cat converter. Been suffering poor gas mileage since then! It's been a money pit, but I love this little car! I think I'll take your advice and have a mechanic diagnose it. Thanks again!
take it to a diagnostician, mechanics will toss parts at it like you have. The fact its happened after you replaced the cat should give you a clue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I agree part of the problem is my daughter's driving style. I don't see signs of brake dragging but will resort to getting a full diagnosis since I've spent past the point of no return to get only 15 mpg from the minimum 23 city miles it's rated. Thank you again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts