Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The fact that the existing trailer lights and the new "board" work on your friends truck, but not on yours suggests either a compatibility problem or incorrect wiring - I suspect the trailer ground may be wired to the side-light circuit - this diagnoses by the way, is based on the diagram that L84sky provided, if the previous owner did his own thing, which is entirely possible, given the load of black wires you describe, then you might need to get an auto-electrician involved.

Something I want to point out here - this is an international forum, and different countries may use different terms to describe the same thing, and this is what leads to the confusion I alluded to earlier - what do you call side lights, and how are these different from rear lights?

Maybe a picture of the "light board" with notes as to which lights do what would help clear things up.
A lot of it contradicts its self so using the last diagram from l84sky. the tail light pin would supply the tail lights on both sides, the side lights and number plate lights run off of the same pin as all 6 lights run at the same time. The amber and red unit on the board below houses the: tail light (which appears dim through the red lens when on),
Break light (appears bright through the red lens break peddle is pressed),
Signal or Indicator lights ( appears through the amber lens),
And number plate light on the side where there is a gap for the number plate in the middle (has a clear lens with a white bulb).
Side lights are only really on 14ft and up trailers and wide trailers like excavator trailers and found at the front left and right side of the trailer, which would wire in with the tail lights.
The red unit on the right end is a fog light.
And the triangles is just reflectives.
Automotive lighting Product Rectangle Amber Vision care

I have attached above a diagrame of the 7 pin connector and shows pin 5 right hand and pin 7 left hand are actually signaled by the tail light

·
Registered
141 Posts
Etrailer says this:

The connector you would be looking for is located on the inside of the driver side tire jack compartment. It is taped to the vehicle wiring harness just forward of the jack compartment. If you still don't see it try removing the taillight assembly to gain further access. That is something a customer had to do with their similar Vitara.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had spoken to a UK Suzuki Specialests yesterday.
He said that Grand Vitaras in the UK dont have a 6 pin connector from factory unless it has been added by the vehicle owner or it is an import from another contry because the 6 pin oem connector is not compatible to the 7 pin trailer socket due to the fact that the fog light wire is on the otherside of the Vitara.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I can say the 8 pin that came with the universal
trailer box is soldered in.
Motor vehicle Vehicle door Electrical wiring Gas Automotive exterior

The fog wire was the only pain as I had to route it from the right side to left. Not the healthiest way by having a long cable but its the only way to get a fog light (seen as the light blue cable).
Automotive tire Hood Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tread Hood

The only thing I had wished I did was splice the fog light wire back at the loom not behind the light, just so that the wire was just a little shorter.

It isn't tested yet as the power cable for the box requires 15A fuse and ran out of sun light to finnish so no will be searching for a power source that is 15A or higher close to the back as I can.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Having learned how much UK wiring can differ from the North American Suzukis, I am hesitant to suggest a 15A source but if you download this power distribution map from Dropbox you may get some ideas. I noticed the rear wiper motor is fused at 15A.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I did try the cigarette socket at the back that is supposed to support any thing that is a light sorce i.e spot lights but when I put a multi meter on it only registering as a 5A and wasnt powerfull enough as a power source, in the instructions the box requires a 15A to power it

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you placed the red ammeter lead on the center pin of the socket and the black lead on the steel body (or other ground), you probably blew the fuse in the ammeter. More on that in a minute.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Font Parallel Schematic Pattern Map

This is the power outlet schematic for my 2001.

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Slope

A typical ammeter must be placed in series with the load. Replacing the fuse with an ammeter is one way to get a series connection.
The ammeter will read "zero" until something that draws current is plugged into the auxiliary outlet. Make sure that "something" draws less than 15 A.
Keep in mind that an ammeter is essentialy a short circuit. It should used with extreme care.

Bumper Auto part Gadget Automotive exterior Electronic device

I have special meter leads that mimic the flat blades on the fuse so I can plug my meter directly into the fuse holder.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts