Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beginning of this year I had bought a Grand Vitara for a work horse(I went for it as it had trailer hitch and was 4x4), now that its winter and having to drive around in darker hours.
I had noticed that every time I turn my lights on the trailer lights stop working except from side lights, everything else works all fine when the lights are off, tryed a brand new trailer board and same results may have a few ideas why but didnt want to start ripping everthing off first and find out it was something else.
Also when I turn lights on without trailer the dash lights dim and didnt know if the dash did that or not.
Any answer would be great.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,517 Posts
You have a wiring issue, either a poor connection on the power side or a poor ground..

·
Registered
141 Posts
every time I turn my lights on the trailer lights stop working
Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel

When the headlight switch in my 2001 is in "Head" both the Headlamp and TAIL relays energize.

Product Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram

The TAIL relay sends 12 volts to the trailer harness connector

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fixture Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

That's the 6-pin connector located near the jack storage compartment.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Number

I'd start by inserting a test lamp between pins 4 and 5. If the test lamp goes on and off with the headlight switch, the problem is likely in the trailer. If not, the problem is going to be in the vehicle wiring.

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
The beginning of this year I had bought a Grand Vitara for a work horse(I went for it as it had trailer hitch and was 4x4), now that its winter and having to drive around in darker hours.
I had noticed that every time I turn my lights on the trailer lights stop working except from side lights, everything else works all fine when the lights are off, tryed a brand new trailer board and same results may have a few ideas why but didnt want to start ripping everthing off first and find out it was something else.
Also when I turn lights on without trailer the dash lights dim and didnt know if the dash did that or not.
Any answer would be great.
I see a certain degree of confusion already occurring so let's try to nip it in the bud...

I had noticed that every time I turn my lights on the trailer lights stop working except from side lights, everything else works all fine when the lights are off,
What lights stop working when you turn what lights on? Be specific - the statement makes it sound like some light is working even though it hasn't been turned on, and it stops working when you do turn it on.

Tell us what lights the trailer has, does it have separate side lights, separate turn signals and separate brake lights, some have the turn signals & brake lights in a single unit and these typically require a converter, are yours like this and do you have the converter fitted, are you using the Suzuki trailer harness or has something else been fitted, remember we are not there and cannot see for ourselves.

In a similar fashion - this sounds like the dash lights are on and bright before you switch them on, and when you turn the lights on the dash lights go dim - which dash lights are you talking about?

On my GV, which is an earlier model to yours, there are LEDs in the a/c controls that are brightly lit, until I turn the lights on and then the LEDs dim, it's designed to do this so that the LEDs can be visible during the day, but not dazzle during the night.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see a certain degree of confusion already occurring so let's try to nip it in the bud...
So if I hitch my trailer and test all the trailer lights,
The turning lights left and right works as they should.
Stop lights light up when breaks are applied of which again works as they should.
If I then go to check the side lights, number plate lights and rear lights, by turning on my GV headlights inside and check the back of my trailer there is no number plate lights and no rear lights only side lights are lit.
So if I walk back to the drivers side and turn on the signal lights (left or right doesnt matter), then back to the rear of the trailer, no turn signals are lit. This is the same results when the break pedal is pressed, no break light from the trailer.
I have tryed my trailer on a friends truck and everthing on the trailer works as intended.
I had bought a brand new trailer light board to check on my truck and the trailer board had the same results as what happens on my trailer.
Mean while I am checking trailer lights, all of the lights on the back of my truck are working fine,
Hope that clarifies

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In a similar fashion - this sounds like the dash lights are on and bright before you switch them on, and when you turn the lights on the dash lights go dim - which dash lights are you talking about?
The dashboard has backlighting that is bright when the ignition is on but once the headlights are turned on the backlighting becomes dim, I didnt know if that was a connected issue to the trailer or if that was normal as never had a GV before.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
This is sounding like a bad ir missing ground in the trailer wiring circuit, is pin 4 on the trailer connector as per the diagram above actually grounded with a good low resistance to the car body, or have you used the green pin 3 as the ground?

If everything works before you turn the lights on, and not after, then you are ending up with the same voltage across the brake light switch wire, and the indicators. Work thru the circuit and think about it.

If the trailer works fine on another vehicle, and your test board is fine on another and both don't work on your car, then the issue is in the trailer connection wiring between the car and the trailer socket it plugs into attached to your car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is sounding like a bad ir missing ground in the trailer wiring circuit, is pin 4 on the trailer connector as per the diagram above actually grounded with a good low resistance to the car body, or have you used the green pin 3 as the ground?

If everything works before you turn the lights on, and not after, then you are ending up with the same voltage across the brake light switch wire, and the indicators. Work thru the circuit and think about it.

If the trailer works fine on another vehicle, and your test board is fine on another and both don't work on your car, then the issue is in the trailer connection wiring between the car and the trailer socket it plugs into attached to your car.
I havnt looked into it fully yet as only just seen a birds nest of wiring behind the jack and probably end up rewiring it all to the diagram that was given above, the previous owner had it installed so I am not quite sure how it is wired. All I have seen is a load of black wires spliced into the original loom but that is something that I will keep in mind about the pins. As long as its not in the truck.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Worst case, 5 or 7 core cable and splice it into the loom feeding the rear lights. Find which side the main loom comes from the front as that will have both indicator feeds in it. Multimeter and a bit of time should be all you need. Sometimes it's easier to start from scratch

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
The dashboard has backlighting that is bright when the ignition is on but once the headlights are turned on the backlighting becomes dim, I didnt know if that was a connected issue to the trailer or if that was normal as never had a GV before.
This is normal, as mentioned earlier, it's done to ensure the dash indicators are bright enough to be visible during the daytime, but not so bright as to dazzle at night.

Reactions: Kbkane

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
So if I hitch my trailer and test all the trailer lights,
The turning lights left and right works as they should.
Stop lights light up when breaks are applied of which again works as they should.
If I then go to check the side lights, number plate lights and rear lights, by turning on my GV headlights inside and check the back of my trailer there is no number plate lights and no rear lights only side lights are lit.
So if I walk back to the drivers side and turn on the signal lights (left or right doesnt matter), then back to the rear of the trailer, no turn signals are lit. This is the same results when the break pedal is pressed, no break light from the trailer.
I have tryed my trailer on a friends truck and everthing on the trailer works as intended.
I had bought a brand new trailer light board to check on my truck and the trailer board had the same results as what happens on my trailer.
Mean while I am checking trailer lights, all of the lights on the back of my truck are working fine,
Hope that clarifies
The fact that the existing trailer lights and the new "board" work on your friends truck, but not on yours suggests either a compatibility problem or incorrect wiring - I suspect the trailer ground may be wired to the side-light circuit - this diagnoses by the way, is based on the diagram that L84sky provided, if the previous owner did his own thing, which is entirely possible, given the load of black wires you describe, then you might need to get an auto-electrician involved.

Something I want to point out here - this is an international forum, and different countries may use different terms to describe the same thing, and this is what leads to the confusion I alluded to earlier - what do you call side lights, and how are these different from rear lights?

Maybe a picture of the "light board" with notes as to which lights do what would help clear things up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tell us what lights the trailer has, does it have separate side lights, separate turn signals and separate brake lights, some have the turn signals & brake lights in a single unit and these typically require a converter, are yours like this and do you have the converter fitted, are you using the Suzuki trailer harness or has something else been fitted, remember we are not there and cannot see for ourselves.
I never saw an answer from Kbkane to fordam's query. Here is why it matters.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

My amber Suzuki turn signals are not compatible with my red American trailer turn signals.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electrical supply

My trailer uses a flat 4-pin connector.

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas

My 4-pin trailer connector is not compatible with the 6-pin Suzuki connector

Circuit component Electrical wiring Gadget Cable Font

An adapter is required to convert the European style turn signals to the American style.

Musical instrument Audio equipment Gadget Electrical wiring Vehicle door

The adapter is a direct fit for the Suzuki connector. No wire splicing is required.

Bumper Electrical wiring Tool Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

No wire splicing required at my trailer either. So Kbkane does your trailer have amber or red turn signals?

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
I see your problem
You need a minimum of 5 cores, ground, tail lights, brake lights left and right indicators.
These vehicles cannot supply combination flaser/brake light systems without an appropriate adapter unit. As l84sky has posted above, you need an appropriate magic box. Lord knows what the previous owner has done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have found that the previous owner had bought the 7pin socket and hard wired it to the original loom with splicing connecters, so I am currently undoing the work and fitting a universal trailer relay to correct it. I tryed to find a second hand plug and play but could not find any. Will send some pics after it is all fitted and working.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never saw an answer from Kbkane to fordam's query. Here is why it matters.
View attachment 103654
My amber Suzuki turn signals are not compatible with my red American trailer turn signals.

View attachment 103655
My trailer uses a flat 4-pin connector.

View attachment 103656
My 4-pin trailer connector is not compatible with the 6-pin Suzuki connector

View attachment 103658
An adapter is required to convert the European style turn signals to the American style.

View attachment 103659
The adapter is a direct fit for the Suzuki connector. No wire splicing is required.

View attachment 103660
No wire splicing required at my trailer either. So Kbkane does your trailer have amber or red turn signals?
Uk 7 pin trailers must have
both turn signals (amber)
stop light L/R (red)
break lights L/R (stop light and break light are normally in one unit) (red)
Number plate light/ side lights (white)
And fog light. (Red)
A 13 pin has all above and a reverse light (white) as well.
Sorry only just seen your post.
Wish I only had 4 pins to work with.
Hope it answers your question.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you need to convert the square Suzuki 6-pin connector to a round 7-pin UK connector?
Pritty much so yea, but unfortunately my GV hasn't got a 6 pin so Im soldering in a 8 pin that comes with the universal kit. But if you have a 6 pin connector already in then it is just simple as connecting a "Plug and Play" kit, but cannot find one as no one selling the compatible kit anymore due to the fact Suzuki doesn't manufacture this model of Grand Vitara, so a universal had to do.
So having fun probbing wires and find what goes where before splicing and soldering the new 8 pin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pritty much so yea, but unfortunately my GV hasn't got a 6 pin so Im soldering in a 8 pin that comes with the universal kit. But if you have a 6 pin connector already in then it is just simple as connecting a "Plug and Play" kit, but cannot find one as no one selling the compatible kit anymore due to the fact Suzuki doesn't manufacture this model of Grand Vitara, so a universal had to do.
So having fun probbing wires and find what goes where before splicing and soldering the new 8 pin.
White Light Product Green Font

A tipical 7 pin plug which would match the 6 pin connector.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts