Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

First time poster but longtime reader, I picked up lots of tips on this forum when I was rebuilding the engine in my (now my brothers 2005 Forenza).

A quick history:

I bought the wagon with a broken timing belt and 16 bent valves in the head. I completely rebuilt the head, replaced the water pump, thermostat, and what seems like a bazillion other wear items.

The car ran great, I sold it to my brother so I could move on to another project and before he had 100 miles on it the engine snapped a connecting rod, beat up the crank, and punched a hole in the oil pan.

I'm trying to help him get it back together on the cheap but we're running into some problems.

First we sent the crank out to be ground and UPS smashed the box and lost the crankshaft...

So I need either a new crank or a good rebuild-able core and I'm not having much luck.

Here's the information I have on the block & crank:

Numbers on the block:
r90400228
7j4

Numbers on crank:
608 86 809
8j4

I believe 80900508 is the part number for the crank. Can anyone suggest a source for a rebuilt or rebuild-able core to fit this engine? I have emails out to a few sellers on Ebay and have also been keeping an eye on salvage yards to no avail.

The VIN is KL5JJ86SZ35K120978 if that helps in anyway!

-Thanks everyone,

Erik Fellenz

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes I would agree with the above ^ .... get a complete used motor and drop it in. Or get the used motor and open it up just to check everything (since you seem mechanically inclined) and then drop it in. I don't think sourcing the crank, connecting rod, piston, block etc separately will be economical.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
How?

On another note.... I have to ask HOW did that happen??? Like did he over-rev the car? or what was the sequence of events that led to that disaster?

I ask because mine has been boosted for years on a 100% factory bottom end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I'm located in Central NY.

I have looked at swapping another engine in but given the work that I've already put into this engine and the fact that I have a new connecting rod ready to install makes me want to just find a crank & new bearings and slap it back together. The piston & block are both remarkably A-OK.

My best guess as to the cause of the disaster is shoddy work by a mechanic before I bought the car. The connecting rod broke due to the nuts locking in on the crank loosening. Basically it looks like the rod became disconnected from the crank and the crank came around, hit the loose rod and snapped it.

Somehow through all of this the piston never managed to kiss the head as none of the valves are bent or show any signs of being hit.

-Erik

·
Registered
92 Posts
As a mechanic with over 20 years experience I would also say find a complete motor to drop in. I'm sure you could find something on car-part.com pretty easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts