Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2005 Aerio SX, but am deciding between picking up a FWD available within a week, or waiting over a month for AWD. This will be in Hawaii, so no snow, and heavy rains are not too much of an issue. Is the AWD going to give any obviouse performance improvement? Or be a detriment with the added weight?

Any help/info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perhaps you have answered your own question, the AWD vs FWD on dry pavement you will find little difference if any on how the car will hold the road driving at normal speeds and conditions.
The AWD is about 80 kilograms (176 lbs) heavier. Acceleration will be slightly different. The most noticeable difference with the AWD is when your in wet or slippery conditions or when you push the limits in curves on the road. I personally prefer the AWD over FWD just to know I have a car that will perform better when you need it the most.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Definitely the FWD for performance. It's not as good as AWD in rain, but works 85% as well with the right tires. Plus, the weight distribution is in the front of the car so it has more traction than a RWD car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the AWD but then again I live in Canada. For you I would recommend the FWD with the standard transmission. The standard is not available on the AWD. Personally I wanted the AWD wit ha standard but had to settle for the auto to get the AWD. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by Biggles@Oct 7 2004, 08:19 AM
I have the AWD but then again I live in Canada. For you I would recommend the FWD with the standard transmission. The standard is not available on the AWD. Personally I wanted the AWD wit ha standard but had to settle for the auto to get the AWD. Hope this helps.
I cannot believe the choice you have! In the UK, we do not have your selection of Suzuki Models. I have driven my Liana/Aerio for nearly 3 years and it's an event if I see another on the road! Further, I drive/drove a GS example, in white, only 7 have been registered in my area...and I have not seen them!

Unfortunately, I paid £12,500($18,000) for this car 2 and a half years ago, I traded it for £3,000($4500) recently. This car had full body kit, alloys, interior trim and CD. I traded it for a MINI Cooper What would I get in Canada, for example?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well in Canada we do have more choices. The 2005 comes in a number of body styles ie the GS sedan or the S and SX fastbacks.Here is a link to Suzuki Canada so you can see for yourself.

http://www.suzuki.ca/en/auto/index.cfm

I paid about $22000 Cdn for my 2003 AWD SX which is the top of the line fully loaded model. That also included a five year transferable warrantee with roadside assistance and lifetime rustproofing warrantee. The Mini Coopers start around $27000 for the plain jane base model to $37600 for the Cooper S Convertable. Definately not worth it for me. I used to have a mini when I was a teen and loved it but they were much less expensive back then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by Biggles@Oct 12 2004, 08:55 AM
Well in Canada we do have more choices. The 2005 comes in a number of body styles ie the GS sedan or the S and SX fastbacks.Here is a link to Suzuki Canada so you can see for yourself.

http://www.suzuki.ca/en/auto/index.cfm

I paid about $22000 Cdn for my 2003 AWD SX which is the top of the line fully loaded model. That also included a five year transferable warrantee with roadside assistance and lifetime rustproofing warrantee. The Mini Coopers start around $27000 for the plain jane base model to $37600 for the Cooper S Convertable. Definately not worth it for me. I used to have a mini when I was a teen and loved it but they were much less expensive back then.
Hello Biggles, Old Chap! Thanks for that. We're just waiting for the release of the New 'Suzuki Swift' in Europe, price unknown! It's been previewed at the Paris Motor show and has some very good reviews with the motoring press, which is decidedly unusual, as Suzuki seem to come in for a 'kicking' in the UK normally. Also in the the UK, as I've mentioned before, the Aerio is called the 'Liana' which stands for, Life-In-A-New-Age. Quirky, but has never really caught on with punters overs here. Aerio sounds better, does it have any particular meaning?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts