Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've recently "inherited?" an '04 Verona Lx ...And I'm pretty happy so far!
I'm just having trouble finding out more information about parts, modifications & problems with the car. So any help would be appreciated. Two of biggest problems I've noticed involve the lack of horspower, the highway road & wind noise and the quirky transmission. I would like to know if these are common complants and hear any suggestions. Also, A small but annoying apperance problem I would like to do something about is the Peeling of the Interior Door Handles...They seem to have a soft black covering that peels off easily with a harder black surface underneath...It looks tacky. Does anyone else have this problem? If so..Have you come up with a solution?
Thanks...I look forward to hearing from the board!
- chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Verona adapts to the way you drive so if you're the 2nd owner, the car most likely has adapted to the previous owner. I bought mine new not knowing this and was being nice to the car during the break in period. Because I was driving it like a grandma, it picked that up and there I was with no guts no glory. This past summer I had to take it in for a power window problem and asked if the computer can be reset back to where it would start the learning process over. Yes it can be done and since the warranty is transferrable and if you're under the 36,000 mile warranty you should be able to get this done at your nearest dealer. Grandma got kicked to the curb!!!

There are a couple of computer upgrades to get the transmission back in line and they do help but it is still a little quirky. However, you can drive the car like a stick shift by pushing in the "hold" button on the console. It allows to be a bit more in tune with the car and you can get a better response out of the engine. Everynow and then when I want to feel like a kid again, I'll drive it that way. Just don't forget to start out in 1st again when you're at a stop or you'll lug that engine because let's face it you're trying to go from a dead stop in 4th gear. It's definitely not cool.

A lot of the road noise left when I put a beefier tire on the 16" rims. I went with a Goodyear Assurance Triple-Tred mostly for the look of the tread alone. The gripping of the tire and less road noise was a most pleasant surprise.

I've had mine for about 18 months now. My only complaint is the gas mileage, the highest was probably 23 and that was on the highway. It averages 20-21 no matter how I drive it so I drive it like fast. I've had 2 oil changes which are normally scheduled at every 7500 miles since it uses synthetic oil. Plus it does take almost 8 quarts. So you're looking at about $50 to $80 per oil change depending on where you go. But you only have to go twice a year.

I was able to find a Daewoo Magnus grill on e-bay and swapped out the big S on the front grill with something that looks like a Lincoln grill. Since the Magnus hasn't been distributed to the States, my car is the only one in town like it.

There is a website where you can get either Daewoo grill for around $140 bucks. One looks like the Lincoln the other looks similar to a BMW.

Have fun driving your car. It does grow on you.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
MR.(LIVINGINTX) I Think I Would Like To Change The Grille On My(2005)Verona."Can You Post A Picture Of Yours.'Thanks Charlie2, :auto:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Originally posted by livingintx@Oct 25 2005, 06:50 PM
The Verona adapts to the way you drive so if you're the 2nd owner, the car most likely has adapted to the previous owner.
It operates on 'fuzzy logic', changing shift patterns as you drive. It will not retain memory of driver input on previous trips. What it does is change to a pattern of shifting in 3 modes with 3 different load settings. Economy - Medium - Sporty with patterns for Load 1 - Load 2 - Load 3, and selection defeat.

Just don't forget to start out in 1st again when you're at a stop or you'll lug that engine because let's face it you're trying to go from a dead stop in 4th gear. It's definitely not cool.
In the 'Hold' mode, the transmission will always start out in 2nd gear from a stop if the selector is in (D)rive. If the selector is left alone, t will shift as normal but reach the specific gear selected a little sooner, and hold it for as long as possible before automatically downshifting (such as with hill climbing).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
4 new Yokohama YK420 tires have helped tremendously with traction and decreasing some of the road noise...so that's cool!
And Thanks for explaining what exactly that HOLD button was for :) Now I know how to get a lil' more response when I want it! Sure made the trip to the grocery store a lot more fun :grin:

I am confused as to whether or not I can get the computer reset on the transmission though? Does the Trans/computer retain its memory after the car's shut off? I did get the software upgrades but that didn't seem to make much of a difference in performance? I'm still under warranty, but I haven’t checked into this yet?

As for the Interior Door Grab Handles peeling... The guy at the dealership showed me a box full of them being sent back to the manufacturer. All with most of the black coating peeled off. He said he could replace them, but the new ones would just do the same thing :unsure: So? I'm wondering if somehow that top coating can just be completely removed? It sure would look better?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a chrome exhaust tip/tailpipe for the Verona?
Thanks again for your responses... -chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts