Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a horrible squeal noise from the left front, upon inspection is seems that there is a bearing inside the knuckle/spindle that has failed. If I take the drive flange off the noise goes away, its only there if the axle spins. I can also move the outer axle shaft where it enters the knuckle up and down excessively. Does anyone have a part number for that bearing and the seal? Has anyone else had one fail on them?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,766 Posts
That part is known as the HUB and is changed out as a unit....

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
18,204 Posts
2004 Suzuki XL-7 Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

OE

With and without ABS...

FRONT SUSPENSION / FRONT SUSPENSION / SUSPENSION COMPONENTS / HUB
HUB Grand Vitara, XL-7; w/o ABS

$271.30
View Part Diagram -- Item #1

FRONT SUSPENSION / FRONT SUSPENSION / SUSPENSION COMPONENTS / HUB
HUB Grand Vitara, XL-7; w/ABS

$326.06
View Part Diagram -- Item #1

Aftermarket...
2004 SUZUKI XL-7 2.7L V6 : Brake/Wheel Hub : Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly
2004 SUZUKI XL-7 Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly

BECK/ARNLEY part @ $119.79 ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,104 Posts
Bearing #14 - 09263-28030 (28x35x16)
Seal #16 - 09289-48004 (48x70x17)
Seal #17 - 09286-64001 (64x76x7)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,204 Posts
Well, I'm confused. :huh:

You have axles "spinning" fine, bearing failed, now bearing reported fine, AND excessive clearance with the outer shaft moving up and down excessively. On the latter...was that just because the shaft end was no longer supported due to hub removal?

Using the diagrams, can you provide the part nomenclature concerns / failure area for us to better assist you?

At this point you haven't ID'd the problem in other words, have you?

Is the problem in the knuckle or it's mounts maybe? :confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking the drive flange off disconnected the axle from the wheel flange. Spinning only the wheel flange hub produces no noise and is tight. Spinning the axle only creates the nasty squeal. don't worry I got it all figured out, your picture is a 2wd mine is a 4wd. 14, 16, and 17 in fordem's picture. Notice the missing pieces in your diagram.

The axle goes through the center of 13 and rides in bearing 14 the axle is only connected to the wheel flange by the drive flange 4. The wheel flange has its own bearing which rides on the outside of 14.

I do this for a living, just for Chrysler. I have no access to Suzuki service info so I came here. the online stuff is very misleading because they all use the diagram you gave which is 2wd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taking the drive flange off disconnected the axle from the wheel flange. Spinning only the wheel flange hub produces no noise and is tight. Spinning the axle only creates the nasty squeal. don't worry I got it all figured out, your picture is a 2wd mine is a 4wd. 14, 16, and 17 in fordem's picture. Notice the missing pieces in your diagram.

The axle goes through the center of 13 and rides in bearing 14 the axle is only connected to the wheel flange by the drive flange 4. The wheel flange has its own bearing which rides on the outside of 14.

I do this for a living, just for Chrysler. I have no access to Suzuki service info so I came here. the online stuff is very misleading because they all use the diagram you gave which is 2wd.
I know it's been a while since this post... Do you recall if you re-used the spindle washer? Part 15 in the above diagram? I didn't find one when I took mind apart.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
that spindle washer should be there, its actually a thrust washer, not just a spacer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
that spindle washer should be there, its actually a thrust washer, not just a spacer.
Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. Looks like at some point in time there must have been work done and it was not put back in. Probably part of the reason my needle bearing was ruined - Now to try to find one without waiting months for shipping...

·
Super Moderator
18,204 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
44183-60A00-000 WASHER,FR DRIVESHAFT THRUST, Suzuki

Out of California a possibility...

Or...

More potential sources in the (top) FAQ thread. ;)
Thanks. I did find a place that will supposedly deliver from Japan to Canada in 3-5 days. We'll see about that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts