Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my XL-7 (auto) for a few months now, it's great on the road but I am yet to give it a workout in 4x4. How does it perform? Any driving tips?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would agree... Remove the factory running boards!

A few pointers...

#1. The XL-7 has absolutely ZERO torque at low RPM ranges. If you attempt a modest incline, use 4wd low.

#2. The Duelers on the vehicle are the worst tire ever designed. If you have the stock bridgestones, don't attempt anything except dirt roads. Zero traction in rubble and you're screwed if you end up in the mud.

#3. Watch out for your ground clearance. Even w/out the running boards, you still only have about 8 inches of clearance. Keep this in mind when running through ruts, one tire might be in a small hole which can cut you clearance down even further.

#4. If you're on the dirt and want to have some fun, feel free to hit it high-speed if the surface is somewhat level... Don't freak out when you hear the engine running above 4000rpm, that's where the power is and honestly where the engine was designed to operate.

#5. (Most importantly). DO NOT RUN THE TRUCK ON PAVEMENT in 4WD!!!! The 4wd system in this truck is not AWD! Once 4WD is engaged, the hubs are locked and all 4 tires really want to spin at the same speed. Fine in snow, dirt or mud but too much traction will cause you financial distress!

Above all, have fun! Never go off-road alone (bring someone else with another 4X4) and always bring a set of tow-chains, tow-straps or a winch just in case!

Sean

·
Registered
132 Posts
Blacknight: I think I saw your XL-7 on car domain. Do you have the RR body lift and Calmini 2.5" suspension lift with 31" tires. If you do how is it and how is the body lift (I thought it was only for th GV not the XL7)?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have had no problems at all, but yes the stock tyres are hopeless got rid of them straight away.

Got yokohams for the time been, good on sand and great everywhere else,
yet getting into the soft flour type sand it gets bogged pretty much straight away.

Overall its a very capable strong vehical, but best thing you can do is put stiffer springs in! and lift it a bit.

By the way my car is a manual, havnt noticed low torque down low, goes up rocky hills effortlessly, but in general all 4x4s should be put in 4L if doing anything tricky like rocky hill climbs, as once going up, you want to make sure you are in the right gear!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've never had mine in the mud, but I can say that I am impressed at how well it does in the snow every winter when my driveway is drifted over and I have to drive through 1/2 mile of snow covered field to get out to the road.
The only thing that's slowed down ours is the running boards. I'd ditch them, but the wife would kill me- it's her car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, if you did any moderate off roading they would not last. It works well for the suburban vehicle though. A little lift would give more clearance as well (again not something your wife probably wants). Glad to hear it does well in snow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh, Just a note it does great in mud! :D

My regular fun days in the car is always in mud. Its very controlable, was quite suprised with it actually, you could predict where it would go and if it would slide (with some consideration in mind)
My mates toyota with mud tyres had more problems than mine, was kinda a dare, they said if ya get stuck we will pull you out.. and funny thing was, i wasnt the one who got stuck and needed pulling out. hehe..

And with strength, i have videos of me hitting sand dunes at 45mile per hour, makes a lot of sand fly everywhere, but, car is still going.. Apart fromt he bull bar constantly needing to be pulled out again :p

But yeah, MY G/F always says i dont want to know! but i show her any way just to get under her skin. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a metal bash plate and ATs on my Suzi and have gone to Central Australia (Palm Valley & Finke Gorge National Park), Cape York, Double Island Point Qld and never got it bogged..Just watch out for your ground clearance...Great Fourby...:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, I never thought of 4wheeling with an XL-7. Nice to know I wheel with my 2006 Jeep Wrangler but now I must test out my wife's 2005 XL-7.

·
Registered
21 Posts
4 x 4 to the Max! Anything but Rock Crawling!

Rock Road Outfitters Google It. For Serious 4x4r's, They've Got Everything.

Pictured Is Thier 4 1/2" Lift Kit.

Max Tire 265 R17 70 These Are Hankook Mt.

You'll Need A Sledge Hammer To Bang The Walls A Little But Not Bad. And You'll Have To Trim The Sheet Metal Around The Fenders. The Mud Gards Come From Bushwacker And Will Require Custom Fitting.

Be Prepared To Send A Couple Grand, For The Kit , Fenders And A Qualified Shop To Put Them On.

Tires And Rims $1500.00

Custom Front And Rear Bumper's $2600.00

Custom Side Pipes $800.00

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow!!! very nice. :thumbsup:
I drive a 2006 Jeep Wrangler myself but my wife has the XL-7 and we wanted to lift it a bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice Looking Combo!

TWO NICE RIG'S, NOW YOU KNOW HOW AND WHAT IT WILL COST!

GO FOR IT, WE GET STOPPED ALL THE TIME BY PEOPLE THAT LOVE THE LOOKS AND ARE AMAZED BY THE PERFORMANCE.

YOUR WIFE WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT!

:beer::liebe011:

·
Registered
50 Posts
On my 02 Xl-7 I have Uniroyal Liberator A/T 235/70x16 (slight rub on tight turns-but with no tire/body damage)and they get around great-snow, ice and even climbed up and over some snow banks in 2WD and it did great (traction wise) the advantage of ground clearance (stock) is way better than our car (05 Pontiac Grand Prix GT) with above 4" of snow it turns into a snow plow-urgh! Next set will be sipped for ice traction purposes (less slide on compacted snow/ice) and they aren't so wide to cut into fuel economy or major drag on the vehicle.
Have fun and enjoy using that vehicle for all purposes within its capabilites.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read this on the XL-7 forum "Once 4WD is engaged, the hubs are locked and all 4 tires really want to spin at the same speed." If this is true, this is a good new ! As there is front an rear diffs, the torque always goes to the front and rear wheel who have less traction. Like on the others Vitaras... Is it right ? (sorry, my English is not good, i hope you understand)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I read this on the XL-7 forum "Once 4WD is engaged, the hubs are locked and all 4 tires really want to spin at the same speed." If this is true, this is a good new ! As there is front an rear diffs, the torque always goes to the front and rear wheel who have less traction. Like on the others Vitaras... Is it right ? (sorry, my English is not good, i hope you understand)
Your English is better than my French :)

I think you were trying to say the torque split between the front and rear is fixed/ split at 50:50? Yes, that is correct.

The only problem is both the front and rear lack limited slip differentials- so if a wheel is lifted it will spin uselessly and stop forward movement. :(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts