Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Verona for almost 5 years... the warranty ran out due to mileage about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, the car has developed the shift lock issue where I cannot move the shifter (automatic) until I depress the "lever" in the Shift Lock Release opening.

I am doing everything else one is supposed to do - turn the car on, depress the pedal, etc.

I've hunted around for solutions, and I've found quite a few but all of them mostly point to other Suzuki models - the Forenza and / or Vitara. I haven't seen any specific solutions for the Verona itself.

My primary question is : Do I have to actually replace the Shift Lock Relay in the console to fix this problem? Or are there other possible solutions - specific to Veronas - that I can check first?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My brake switch? Where is that located - does it say in the car manual?
its mounted on the brake pedal bracket near the steering column.

when you press the brake pedal, the switch closes the circuit to turn on the brake lights and release the shifter (as long as the trans is in park)

first check if the brake lights are working when you press the brake pedal..
thats the easiest test. then we'll go from there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
shifter problems too

Im having the same type of issue. After starting the car I press on the brake prior to shifting into drive but the shifter moves on its own.

I sometimes hear clicking under the dash near the steering column.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry this is such a late reply, but I don't have any brake lights. Actually, at all... regardless of whether or not the car is in park or in drive. I never even noticed it until I checked earlier this week.

Would the brake switch not functioning correctly cause both brake lights to stop functioning?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I've triple checked all the fuses - and they are all fine, none blown.

So, with this, all I should need to do is replace the brake switch to fix the problem then?

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might want to check the ignition switch as well as the brake switch. I was having the same problem you descibed, the dealer could find no problem. A few weeks later the ignition switch froze completely. Fortunately for me the car was off & in my garage, but still had to be towed to the dealer. The dealer "fixed" it under warranty, but the same problem with the shift lock came back a few months later, followed shortly afterward by the ignition switch failing again just after the warranty expired. I was able to get the key to move that time by wiggling it for about 20 minutes. I took the car to a locksmith who rebuilt the switch with all new pins and it has worked fine for about 3+ years now. My car, 2004 Verona, according to the locksmith has a very deep cup at the beginning of the key witch causes the 1st pin in the ignition to become bent & not line up correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 verona brake lights gone, gear locked, and key unable to be removed in on or off

I have had this happen twice the only difference is, I have no brake lights at all and the key is stuck in the ignition, and a lock gear shift is the first indication the lights are not working.

I took it in the first time in 2007, warranty still good, but it happened again in March 2010 and they wanted to charge me for it, said the warranty ran out and this is the second time I am bringing it in so it is my bill.

I contacted the Suzuki Corp and the confirmed that there was no record the Suzuki dealer service center completed the repair, so they did it at no cost. Yesterday the same thing happened. What do you recommend.

What is so crazy is this is a safety recall, I'd hate to think they are trying to pull a Toyota on me. I don't think I should have to pay for this, warranty or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts