Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the beginning of my car issues in the wrong forum (for a 2007+) and then realized our car is actually a 2004.

Anyhow, drove car to work - it was idling rough at all stops. Like it wanted to stall. Almost like it wasn't getting enough gas when at a stop light.

Got out from work and while warming it up it was idling really rough so I decided not to drive it home. Next day my husband took me to work and then drove the car home. It was still doing the same thing. For reference, I only work about 15 minutes from home and take side streets the whole way.

When he got the car home, he parked it and turned it off. Then decided to move it into the garage but it wouldn't start. He left it alone.

When I got home that night I noticed the windows were down on the car so I tried to start it and it started - still rough idle.

He moved the car into the garage and checked all the obvious issues. Replaced the spark plugs, checked all the fluids/wires.. basically everything he could think of. He talked to 2 mechanics and they both gave him a blind estimate of about $1500 to fix the timing chain (which is what they said the issue was).

My husband spent the next week tearing apart the car and replacing the timing chains himself. He bought the whole kit and also replaced the water pump. The chain was off when he took it apart so that was an issue but....

He finished this morning and started the car - it started right away but now the engine is making a noise and it's still not running right. He thinks something was damaged when it was idling so hard and then when he turned it off, it wouldn't turn back on again just like last time. Are we just screwed?

*sigh*

I don't know what else to do. We don't have the money to take the car in. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Max for linking to the original post for me.

I have been sharing everything suggested with him so I will share your post as well when I get home tonight. Hopefully he knows what you are saying (I'm sure he will).

Also, the "check engine" light did come on the day he drove the car home from my job but it never came on before that. I will get more information tonight and post it here in case anyone has some help or advice to offer us.

This is the worst timing ever. We are in the middle of planning and paying for our only son's wedding in less than 8 weeks. I need my car so badly and we are so strapped on funds for this issue right now. I wish I could trade it in but who is going to trade in a non-working car with 6 months left of payments on it?

·
Super Moderator
19,084 Posts
IF a valve is damaged.. is it something he could fix himself without costing an arm and a leg?
It's major labor to pull the heads off and not cheap to have the heads rebuilt and tested, I'm afraid.

Hopefully the damage (if any to the valves) is minimal, with only several needing replacement. And fingers crossed that there isn't cam, piston or block damage which is a worse case scenario.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts