Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 suzuki verona 2.5L 6 cyl. It tries to start but won't turn over. It has spark. The fuel pump turns on but while it primes the fuel pressure regulator kind of squeals. How can I check if its bad? Also I cant find the exact FPR online.

I would also like to check the fuel pressure but cannot find a Schrader valve. Can someone help me locate it.

I have been reaserching every day. And fixing/checking/locating other problems for 3 weeks with this car. It sat for 2 years

·
Registered
26 Posts
AFAIK you don't have a schrader valve. I borrowed an adapter that taps into the feed/ high pressure line at the fuel rail. The other end I sawed off piece of pipe from old fuel filter and monkeyed it up with pressure gauge in the middle.
Manual calls for 43 lbs pressure give or take depending on manifold vacuum.
Fuel pump should dead head at over 90 lbs but don't do that for very long.
I don't think the pressure regulator is available separately form fuel rail.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I have grafted aftermarket fuel pressure regulators onto rails before, takes a bit of work but can be cheaper than the whole rail.

anyway, check pressures (inline gauge, no schrader on most cars these days, they leak..... and watch for leakdown rates as well, I wouldn't immediately suspect your regulator as those things are silent, but fuel flow pulses from a faulty pump can cause noise. Without testing i'm just guessing at possibles. Noisy regulators are a rare thing, you are honored heheh.
45 psi running at idle is about normal, manual says 43, but most gauges can be a couple of psi out and so can the regulators. above 40 and under 50 indicates a reasonable condition fuel system and shouldn't prevent starting.

prime should charge rail, pressure should hold for 30 seconds, and immediately come up when cranking (pump starts as soon as cranking is detected) Could hit 50 psi until car is running as no vac to control pressure.

If pressures not up, or its dropping off, disconnect vac line from the regulator and see if theres any change. low pressure with drop off usually is a pump. The regulators don't seem to give much problem on these things from my experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have grafted aftermarket fuel pressure regulators onto rails before, takes a bit of work but can be cheaper than the whole rail.

anyway, check pressures (inline gauge, no schrader on most cars these days, they leak..... and watch for leakdown rates as well, I wouldn't immediately suspect your regulator as those things are silent, but fuel flow pulses from a faulty pump can cause noise. Without testing i'm just guessing at possibles. Noisy regulators are a rare thing, you are honored heheh.
45 psi running at idle is about normal, manual says 43, but most gauges can be a couple of psi out and so can the regulators. above 40 and under 50 indicates a reasonable condition fuel system and shouldn't prevent starting.

prime should charge rail, pressure should hold for 30 seconds, and immediately come up when cranking (pump starts as soon as cranking is detected) Could hit 50 psi until car is running as no vac to control pressure.

If pressures not up, or its dropping off, disconnect vac line from the regulator and see if theres any change. low pressure with drop off usually is a pump. The regulators don't seem to give much problem on these things from my experience.
Thank yall for yalls response. yeah, the only regulator i saw was connected to the fuel rail so i was wondering if that was the case. the noise is coming from it forsure. i havent checked the pressure yet. since it wont start will it still give me those readings just trying to turn it over?
also i disconnected the line from the fuel filter (the one leading to the engine) and turned the key so the pump kicked on and there was a steady strong flow of gas coming out of the filter. if that tells you anything about the streangth of the pump. i will get a gauge and check the pressure as soon as i can. i also just got my obd2 scanner in the mail the codes are
p0171- system too lean bank 1
P0404- gas recirculation control circuit range/ preformance
P1449- refer to vehicle service manuel.. which says
Evaporative Emission System Vent Shut OFF Valve Malfunction
P0302- cylinder 2 misfire
P0102- Mass or volume airflow circuit low

been trying to connect them together or figure out which one would cause it not to start
side note. it does not have a gas cap on it so that is possibly the reason for the P1449

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Thank yall for yalls response. yeah, the only regulator i saw was connected to the fuel rail so i was wondering if that was the case. the noise is coming from it forsure. i havent checked the pressure yet. since it wont start will it still give me those readings just trying to turn it over? check priming and cranking pressure, should be around 50 if reg is ok.
also i disconnected the line from the fuel filter (the one leading to the engine) and turned the key so the pump kicked on and there was a steady strong flow of gas coming out of the filter. should shoot about 3 feet, stuff a gauge up the end and see, should be about 80 psi if that tells you anything about the streangth of the pump. i will get a gauge and check the pressure as soon as i can. i also just got my obd2 scanner in the mail the codes are
p0171- system too lean bank 1 low fuel pressure or bad O2 sensor
P0404- gas recirculation control circuit range/ preformance
P1449- refer to vehicle service manuel.. which says
Evaporative Emission System Vent Shut OFF Valve Malfunction gas cap leaking
P0302- cylinder 2 misfire
P0102- Mass or volume airflow circuit low

been trying to connect them together or figure out which one would cause it not to start
side note. it does not have a gas cap on it so that is possibly the reason for the P1449
I have added a few bits in red. check pump pressure, should be about 80 psi straight from the pump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts