Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking for a simple answer on how to hold the Harmonic Balancer while torquing the crank bolt to 108 In Lbs torque. The model I have is an Automatic? Any easy way that works?

Thanks,

Steve Speece

·
Super Moderator
12,250 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking for a simple answer on how to hold the Harmonic Balancer while torquing the crank bolt to 108 In Lbs torque. The model I have is an Automatic? Any easy way that works?

Thanks,

Steve Speece
108 in lbs - I'd say you could hold it with one hand & tighten it with the other - but if what you mean is 108 ft lbs, then you'll need something better.

There are a number of commercially available flywheel holding tools that can be used after you remove the starter, or, there should be a couple of threaded holes in the balancer that you can use to attach a lever as shown in the FSM - it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate the necessary tool - a piece of 1/4" plate and a couple of feet of pipe...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
strap wrench is not advisable as you are relying on the balancer rubber to take all that torque, you are more than likely to destroy the new balancer, or stress the flexible section leading to premature failure.
I made my hold tool from a bit of scrap 3/8 plate i had lying around and welded a 1" solid bar to it so it jams up against the chassis on the right hand side to tighten, and the other side if loosening. 2 bolts threaded into the centre of the pulley, make sure its all tightened down and expect to have to cut the bolts off, they will bend.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Steve, I just did this job about 4 days ago. 2 person job.

One person crawl under the car and remove the auto trans inspection plate, 2 small bolts. Location is front facing, just behind the engine oil sump, on the transmission bell housing. Easy. Once open you'll see the flywheel and ring gear. Jam a stout screwdriver or other iron bar beween the teeth of the ring gear and the aluminum bell housing.

Other person needs to stand in front of the vehicle holding a (17mm?) socket on a half inch drive torque wrench. Place the socket over the crank pulley bolt and turn clockwise (!!!!) until the person under the car reports that the flywheel is securely fixed tight with the screwdriver in the gear. Crank it over to 109 foot pounds of torque. Bingo.

EDIT: or you can rent the special tool made for this job. Actually you can buy these online for fairly cheap.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Be careful not to damage your ring gear or bell housing. I placed my screwdriver inside the V of the ring gear, and jammed it against the place where the bell housing is the thickest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts