Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front CV shaft boots are torn. MY CVs are fine but I know its only a matter of time now that the boots are torn.

Is there any way to replace the boots without dissembling/ removing the whole shaft? I dont care if its not the best quality fix, Anything is better than nothing and I am not dissembling everything to rebuild the shafts at this point in time. Please provide links and part numbers if possible.

TIA,
John

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
Go down to your local AutoZone or whatever auto parts chain is closest to you and ask them for a Dorman "Quick boot" or "Speedi boot" kit - these are kits where the boot can be fitted without removing the axle.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Go down to your local AutoZone or whatever auto parts chain is closest to you and ask them for a Dorman "Quick boot" or "Speedi boot" kit - these are kits where the boot can be fitted without removing the axle.
X2
These are known as split boots.

Special care should be observed when gluing the seam and setting the clamps..

... Philip

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much guys! I will check them out. Are they universal in size? or the parts counter guy will know which one to get? Also any particular grease you recommend putting in there while I am at it?
-J

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts
They come in various diameter supporting sizes, WITH grease. Hopefully your parts Counter Person will have & know the appropriate boot size. Tell them inner (or outer) end as appropriate. There may be different size needs.
Dorman Products - CV Joint Boot Kits - Solvent Welded Split Boot

Also keep in mind that the complete re-man CV shaft assemblies are REALLY inexpensive... :)
2003 SUZUKI XL-7 CV Half Shaft Assembly

If one boot is ripped, others are not far from doing same.

And how long has that one existing torn boot CV joint been grease-less and deteriorating? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow Your not kidding, The half shaft is only a little more than what I suspect 2 boots will be. I never expected those parts so cheap. How much work is involved in pulling the shafts? Maybe I just swap them any way. After all mine do have a lot of miles. Anyone using those half shafts? They as good as the oem?

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Raising the dead for a quick CV axle question.
The rock auto link for the 03 has right and left front axles but when I search for my 2006 model only the left side CVs show up. Are they compatible between years for the right side?

Also, are people having better luck with A1 brand or others?

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts
The 2006 GV is a totally different platform. In fact, I see no CV axle shaft assemblies listed, only outer boots.

They must not be a popular (yet) reman item, or it uses a different configuration.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 2006 GV is a totally different platform. In fact, I see no CV axle shaft assemblies listed, only outer boots.

They must not be a popular (yet) reman item.
I Believe you are mixing up the 2006 xl-7 with the GV. The 2006 XL-7 was still the body on frame platform shared with the previous years including GV models.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts