Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new "junkyard" transmission and transfer case. They drained the fluids in order to ship.

The assumption is that the fluids were the correct ones but there is no way to be certain.

What would be the suggested direction as far as the type of fluid to refill with in the AT and Transfer case.

I know this is a loaded question. I did pick up some Dexron Mercron 3 fluid which apparently is a synthetic....

Any input would be welcome

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,724 Posts
Reactions: DC Friend

·
Super Moderator
19,650 Posts
What is the best way to drain/flush a torque converter?
You can't without transmission / converter removal. :(

Don't fall for commercial "Power Flush" services offered by some either. History has taught us that more harm than good can result as the flushing action tends to loosen normally benign sludge and particulates.

You CAN sweetin' the fluid mix by conducting a couple of pan only fluid dumps and re-top offs. That's what most do if anything.

Dexron 3 is what you need, but it does not have to be a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
I believe he reports the transmission and Transfer case to be out (from recycling) so the torque converter is loose or removed.. and YES refrain from the power flushes,

Rather than removing the pan, I used a vacuum pump to drain the transmission, refilled, cycled, drained, repeated did this over a couple of weekends, quick, clean and simple..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max et al,

yes, the torque converter came with the new to me transmission. Part of the warranty from the junkyard was the replacement of trans filter, flushing of lines, replacement of all seals and draining/refill of the torque converter.
Question: without knowing what fluid was in it (synthetic/non synthetic) is there an issue with cross contamination by filling with a fluid which was not used prior? For instance if it was filled with synthetic, can I put non synthetic in there

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
If you use a non synthetic you will lose any advantage of any synthetic remaining in system.. Which if flushed properly you wont have much..

·
Super Moderator
19,650 Posts
That subject is addressed often, and additionally the info can be sourced directly from the FAQ section or by conducting one's own search here. ;) And of course there is the Owner's and Service Manuals.

·
Administrator
18,077 Posts
I think it's worth mentioning that the term "synthetic" is mostly marketing hype, starting with the Castrol vs Mobil lawsuit in 1998, when the courts ruled the Castrol could market their syntec product as a synthetic oil, most brands now carry a "synthetic" product which, like the Castrol product is nothing more than a highly refined mineral oil.

·
Administrator
18,077 Posts
Just trying to avoid the potential "Darwin" award for filling the transfer case with ATF. (Which is not a dumb as it sounds...)....

Cheers

Martin
It's not dumb at all - some transfer cases do take ATF - this is just not one of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts