Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've searched some bit on this website and just the internet in general. I recently bought myself a very clean low mile 2003 suzuki vitara 4 door, and I plan to build a compact overlander. One of the first things I noticed before even buying the vehicle is the blank rocker switch covers that surround the gear shifter and on the left of the steering wheel. I am very curious if those blanks fit a standardized rocker switch from the auto parts store or if this is a "suzuki special" kinda deal. Does anyone know anything about these? Are they fairly easy to wire up? If they're one off holes anyone know where I can get switches to fill them?

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
I believe they are "Suzuki specific", as I have yet to find any "off the shelf" switch that matches them - in terms of "wiring them up" - you're on your own there, depending on what switch you choose, and what you're controlling, you'll have to create your own wiring harness

Personally I think auto electrics are child's play, but that is because I've spent a few decades working with more complex circuitry, if you're new to it, you might want to find someone to assist you, and please make sure your circuits are properly fused.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe they are "Suzuki specific", as I have yet to find any "off the shelf" switch that matches them - in terms of "wiring them up" - you're on your own there, depending on what switch you choose, and what you're controlling, you'll have to create your own wiring harness

Personally I think auto electrics are child's play, but that is because I've spent a few decades working with more complex circuitry, if you're new to it, you might want to find someone to assist you, and please make sure your circuits are properly fused.
So you're saying that the switch itself is a different design than a standard rocker?

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
Define "standard rocker".

·
Registered
1996 Geo Tracker, 1.6 , 4x4 auto
68 Posts
a standard
rocker will fit, however I used the touch buttons from auto zone and they fit so well you cant even tell you did anything.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
a standard rocker will fit, however I used the touch buttons from auto zone and they fit so well you cant even tell you did anything.
Again - define standard rocker.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
View attachment 102531
I'm not 100% sure how to describe it but a typical rocker switch that I can buy of Amazon of my local Napa. Are they not all of same dimensions?
The switch you have pictured is either a Carling Contura or a look alike, an aftermarket product that as far as I know does not fit in the cutouts of any of the major brands - it will not fit in the cutouts of a Suzuki dash without some trimming width wise, and it is too long to fit properly - depending on where you put it (dash or console) you can expect some overlap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Again - define standard rocker.
Suzkui uses a switch that is kinda recessed and it has a standard size for a factory switch, same as a toyo and a nissan, I actually think the only one different is a ford or something

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
There is no "standard" for an automotive rocker switch, I own three different Suzukis and all three take switches of different dimensions, none of which match the Toyotas or Nissans that I have also owned. They also don't match the switches in the Mitsubishis (we have two) or the Kia.

For what it's worth, none of my Suzukis have had rocker switches from the factory, they have all been "push on-push off".

·
Registered
68 Posts
The switch you have pictured is either a Carling Contura or a look alike, an aftermarket product that as far as I know does not fit in the cutouts of any of the major brands - it will not fit in the cutouts of a Suzuki dash without some trimming width wise, and it is too long to fit properly - depending on where you put it (dash or console) you can expect some overlap.

Strange it fit in a suzuki just fine with no trimming?

·
Registered
68 Posts
and not to be condescending you are wrong. have a good one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Suzkui uses a switch that is kinda recessed and it has a standard size for a factory switch, same as a toyo and a nissan, I actually think the only one different is a ford or something
So a toyota style switch should be good for what i need? A buddy of mine has some of those from his 4runner build I'll see if maybe I could fit test one.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
Strange it fit in a suzuki just fine with no trimming? View attachment 102533
May I point out that the switch in your picture is a different switch to the picture that the original poster showed, which, as I said will not fit.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
So a toyota style switch should be good for what i need? A buddy of mine has some of those from his 4runner build I'll see if maybe I could fit test one.
OEM & OEM replacement Toyota switches come in at least two sizes, one of which I believe is very close and may work.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
That question I cannot answer - I never cared enough to find out. The switch blanks snap in to place and are fairly ease to remove - take one out and carry it into your local Autozone or Advance Autoparts - they have the switches hanging on racks so that it's easy to check. You can also go on ebay and look for auctions which show the switch dimensions.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I have yet to find one "over the counter" switch that will fit without some sort of modification. either too big for the cutout, or too small and the tabs won't clip in and you end up with a wobbly switch that annoys the heck out of me. Smaller and a big blob of RTV from the rear works best, at least you can peel that stuff off and fit a factory switch when you find a nice one at a wreckers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
All - one must remember, and take into account, that Fordem takes pedantry to scary new levels...although, as someone who has worked in the automotive upfitter and engineering industry for many years, I could argue that no, there isn't A standard for switches. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of standards for switches in the automotive side alone. Just open up the webpage for Mouser or Digikey (two common USA electronic parts vendors), go to their switches section, and look at the series filter - every one of those series is a standard.

Anyways, to add a bit of info here, a couple pictures showing a common Carling switch (what most people think of when they're talking about Carlings, anyways) compared to the console blanks in both a pre-facelift GV and a post facelift XL7 (because I can never remember when the interiors changed on these things in the States, lol) For what it's worth, apparently Fordem hasn't been around too many Suzukis, as I have four GVs now with factory rocker switches in the console...🤷‍♂️

2002 GV Limited, with factory rockers for trans mode and seat heaters..

2004 XL7

I know there are other, non Suzuki, switches that will drop right into the holes on pre-facelift models, as my 2002 Vitara had some ones I changed out many years ago, though I don't have a clue anymore what I used. I'm 99% sure that the Toy dash switches that are popular in the 4x4 world here are virtually identical to the Carlings, dimensionally speaking.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts