Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I own a 2003 Aerio (hatchback, two wheel drive) and would like to replace the serpentine belt as this has never been done for the car. No problems with it, but I would like to do this before a problem does develop! It has about 164,000kms.

I am not a mechanic at all. The only thing I know how to do is change the oil. So my (naive) questions are...

-Can I use any serpentine belt or is there a specific type I will need to get? If so, where does one get this type of belt?
-How hard is it to do this yourself?? I don't have a garage or anything, though might be able to take it over to my dad's garage and borrow his tools.
-Should I just not attempt it, and take it to a mechanic instead?

I'm on a tight budget so can't afford expensive mechanic bills. So doing it myself would be good... but only if it's something that I can actually do without totally messing up the car...

Thoughts? :)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,983 Posts
Recommend you get a "Gator" belt, and any idiot can change the belt, just follow the routing..

... Philip

·
Registered
154 Posts
The tricky part is taking the tension off the belt tensioner while attaching the belt. If you have never done this before I recommend having someone assist you (one pulling the belt tensioner while the other slips the belt over the last pulley.

As Philip said, make sure you route the new belt on correctly, it may help to slip the new belt over each pulley as you take the old one off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Liana m16a pulley and belt problem

Hi all.My belt just broke and i dont know how its called as I am new in car diy. All I know this far is that it went over the power steering pulley,ac compressor pulley and another pulley that i cant identify really,so the steering has gone mechanical thus very hard to turn as i noticed after the belt snapped.It seems that it has two belts running different pulleys so I figured i might ask in this thread as it refered to belts, I dont even know if its the right thread but if its not I am sorry.So I am just trying to figure out which pulley was bad and broke the belt beacuse the belt itself seemed to be in pretty good condition apart from it having been cut in half.So i am checking it myself tomorrow hopefully by spinning the pulleys by hand will tell me which one is bad, I was just trying to learn somthing more in case I wont be able to spot what caused the belt to snap.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks a ton for the help Darell.i just have a question as i previously thought the water pump pulley would be one of the pulleys that was run by the belt that snapped,but that not being the case could you tell me if i t would be safe or it would cause any more damage if I would drive around like that until i find the right parts as it is a bit hard to find Jap parts in Norway and they are quite pricy if you happen to find them. Other than that is there any certain way to diagnose a bad pulley?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, notes on 2001 Suzuki Aerio
On the Power steering adjustment pulley, 1 bolt is rounded. Any way of adjusting?
Also what is the special tool to adjust tension, trying to get a new belt on

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
if either bolts rounded theres no way to release or tighten it to get correct tension, you need to get that bolt out somehow and replace it.
The tool has a hex end that fits the hole in the centre of the pulley. Allen key can be used if you can find one to fit. But....without fixing that bolt first you won't be able to remove the old belt, or fit a new one.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Is a 2001 Aerio not using the J20 engine with a spring loaded adjuster?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts