Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to from North Wales UK to all.
Look forward to learning loads about my new car.
Just picked up my 2003 Alto 1.1GLS and was hoping that you good people here can recommend a decent oil and filter for this model.
Also it has done 54000 miles and I suppose that the timing belt requires changing.
I cant find any info on which belt I need, tried searching with the VIN but the number doesn't exist.
There is no service history with the car so if you can advise on any other bits and bobs that require doing that would be great.
Cheers
Wil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an old 1,1 Aircon version 12/2003 2 days ago. So im hoping for some input too. :)
Here in Denmark we have free check-up possibilities, so i'm starting with that. And then iv asked for 3 offers on changing the timing belt too. My old beast have 180000 km on the roads. :D
Just like you i dont have the service history too. So better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to find any info on the 2003 model which I have.
When I search for parts on E*ay on most drop down options it by passes years 2000 to 2004.
I don't want to order the wrong part!!!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Sorry guys.
I really can't find sod all info on the alto let alone the 1.1L F10D engine (1061cc).
I have no idea why there is so little info out there :(.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Suzuki Models Timing Belt / Cambelt Change Intervals | MyTimingBelt.com

You can check here for your model, the 1.1 shows N/A probably because it has a chain instead of a belt. If you look into the oil filler hole you should see the chain if yours is fitted with a chain. The chain is for life of the vehicle so no need for change.
Certainly the case for the 2014 1.0 I have.

If the 1.1 engine you have is fitted with a belt a quick search on Europarts came back with the required belt
http://beta.eurocarparts.com/timing-belts

As to oil 5W30 or 10W40 is listed for use with the 1.1
5W30 fully synthetic from Halfords is fine to use spin on filter from them as well or any motor factors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi to from North Wales UK to all.
Look forward to learning loads about my new car.
Just picked up my 2003 Alto 1.1GLS and was hoping that you good people here can recommend a decent oil and filter for this model.
Also it has done 54000 miles and I suppose that the timing belt requires changing.
I cant find any info on which belt I need, tried searching with the VIN but the number doesn't exist.
There is no service history with the car so if you can advise on any other bits and bobs that require doing that would be great.
Cheers
Wil.
Hi!
I have a 03 plate Alto which I have had for 3 years now. The belt needs changed at 10 years or 60,000 miles. You can enter your reg number at Euro Car Parts and everything compatible comes up. I would also change all the fluids if you are not to sure of the history especially the gear box oil. My car is going for an MOT next month and hoping to pass 1st time for the 3rd time in a row.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timing belt

Changed the belt on the alto this weekend, Ordered the kit from euro car parts for £42.90. All went well until I took the timing belt cover off. Belt completely different to the one. For your reference My car had he original belt still on it so I got the part number Which is 12761N84410 8mm 106 tooth.
Just google the part number and you will be able to cross reference the part with the different manufacturers of the belt.
Hope this helps.

By the way.
A continental belt is £12.90 on euro car parts but there are no kits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Will

How was your old belt (Out of curiosity ) ? How long did it take ? Are you a mechanic ? I have an alto with around 90K Miles on original belt . I am not a mechanic but quite good with tools though did not fancy spending a whole weekend on it

Would you recommend changing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Takes around 2 to 3 hours to change. Belt actually looked ok but i wasnt prepared to take a risk on it. Basically follow the youtube clip linked on this thead and you wont go far wrong. All i can add to it is after you have put on the new belt do not put too much tension on the pulley. You should be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees on the longest part.
I learnt the hard way and had to take the cover off again, no i am not a mechanic just someone like you who likes to have a go at things.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Takes around 2 to 3 hours to change. Belt actually looked ok but i wasnt prepared to take a risk on it. Basically follow the youtube clip linked on this thead and you wont go far wrong. All i can add to it is after you have put on the new belt do not put too much tension on the pulley. You should be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees on the longest part.
I learnt the hard way and had to take the cover off again, no i am not a mechanic just someone like you who likes to have a go at things.

Wow :cool:, nice one - good man , I am no mechanic either but you have given me some inspiration. It helps my ego also if I can do something myself , though I am currently having a challenge replacing my CV boots, so maybe not :rolleyes: ( see here http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-alto-forum/199778-cv-boots-torn-again-outer-cv-2.html#post1182522)

For the timing belt , did you need any special tools , what did you require?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No special tools. Just a couple of jacks. One for the Car and one for the engine block. A socket set and a allen key set. Pretty basic and straight forward to do as there are only the cam and the crank to align. Like i said in my previous post watch the video on i think post 4. That helped me loads. The hardest think i have had to replace on the little car to date was the lambda sensor. Thats another story. Took me about 3 hours that bloody thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No special tools. Just a couple of jacks. One for the Car and one for the engine block. A socket set and a allen key set. Pretty basic and straight forward to do as there are only the cam and the crank to align. Like i said in my previous post watch the video on i think post 4. That helped me loads. The hardest think i have had to replace on the little car to date was the lambda sensor. Thats another story. Took me about 3 hours that bloody thing.
I suppose it is a good car to learn with , pretty simple and basic

You said you got a kit , did this include pulley wheels and tensioners?

I also heard that water pumps are supposed to be changed at the same time , did you do this too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The kit i ordered from eurocar parts was wrong and that was the only one they had. Once i had access to the belt i found the part number in that. So i only managed to chang the belt only. Cost under a tenner i think. Yes i also changed the other belt as well as that was cheap too.

So far i have done the oil and filter, plugs, timing and alternator belts, lambda sensor. Rear brakes service and shoes. Hazard switch. Heater only working on setting 3. Painted the underside metalwork with anti rust.
Car is now running well and i am very pleased with it.
I think in total i have spent around 700 (495 for the car) the rest was for the parts that were replaced.
If a garage would have done the work it would have cost a good few hundred more. :blush:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Changed the belt on the alto this weekend, Ordered the kit from euro car parts for £42.90. All went well until I took the timing belt cover off. Belt completely different to the one. For your reference My car had he original belt still on it so I got the part number Which is 12761N84410 8mm 106 tooth.
Just google the part number and you will be able to cross reference the part with the different manufacturers of the belt.
Hope this helps.

By the way.
A continental belt is £12.90 on euro car parts but there are no kits.
I also have the 1.1 Alto , what is strange is that after several searches on ebay , all the listings I looked at said they were 88 toothed and compatible with 1.1 Alto 2002~2008 .

Edit : The above was incorrect the 88 tooth is supposedly for Alto 2004 to 2008 , so it is likely to be somewhat different for a 2003 Alto, or not - who knows ?

The video is titled belt change for alto 2002~2009 sorry to be pedantic but pre 2004 models may have different belts/engines , as there seems to be different size belts based on year

however these 88 tooth kits also come with pulleys , that are also said to need changing same time as belt , wonder if mine will be much harder

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi!
I would also change all the fluids if you are not to sure of the history especially the gear box oil.
I have an 04 Alto 1.1 GL , I wondered if the Alto's shared the engine oil with the gearbox or if it is separate , perhaps this is different depending on age?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The kit i ordered from eurocar parts was wrong and that was the only one they had. Once i had access to the belt i found the part number in that. So i only managed to chang the belt only. Cost under a tenner i think. Yes i also changed the other belt as well as that was cheap too.

So far i have done the oil and filter, plugs, timing and alternator belts, lambda sensor. Rear brakes service and shoes. Hazard switch. Heater only working on setting 3. Painted the underside metalwork with anti rust.
Car is now running well and i am very pleased with it.
I think in total i have spent around 700 (495 for the car) the rest was for the parts that were replaced.
If a garage would have done the work it would have cost a good few hundred more. :blush:
Haha , is this your first car you worked on ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. First car i have worked on. My main transport for the last 25 years have been motorbikes. This year i just got tired of getting wet so bought myself the alto. Still got the bike though but will only be using that when the weather finally gets better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 88 tooth kit is what they sent me. Belt is a lot narrower on the later altos. Process is still the same though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 04 Alto 1.1 GL , I wondered if the Alto's shared the engine oil with the gearbox or if it is separate , perhaps this is different depending on age?
The gear box and engine have totally different oil! The gear box oil level can be checked by removing an inspection plate and the level should be at the neck of it. In the book it says to change every 3 years, the drain plug is magnetic and mines had collected a fair bit of metal bits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts