Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, either my google-foo sucks big time this week or I just have a different question than most. I don't post much thanks to the fact that most of my questions do get answered here, and people generally have already answered with what I know, and I don't like to be a "Me too, Herc!" type. :)

I've been driving my '03 Aerio SX for nearly 8 yrs (will be at the end of Dec.) now, and I'm just about to tick over 239 000 KM (148 500 miles give or take). It's stock, the only things I've ever made mods to are the fixes for my door handles when they broke, the stupid fabric strings for the privacy shield, and replacing my stereo with a nice Sony that I got at BestBuy at a really decent deal. Over all, I treat the car as just that, a car. I don't neglect the maintenance, but I don't go nuts and change anything unless it needs it. (I'm still on original shocks, and yah, they're getting tired, but not enough to warrant replacing, and I drive on Ontario and Quebec provincial roads) :cool:

The most annoying thing I find is that I have to keep replacing the bloody alternator every 80K to 88K. At the, I think, criminal price of over $700 for the Suzuki part this gets a bit harsh to swallow. I've had various, including a Suzuki dealer, garages all try to put the $300 or less after market ones in with zero success. They just don't charge the battery. (which is currently my 3rd one, and it's a solid Interstate that probably should be dead by now but keeps rising to the challenge)

Since the bulk of my driving is in rush hour, highway speed traffic, suddently loosing power is not an option, and is down right scary.

I've poked and poked around, and all I can find is mention of the Denso part number 31400-59J00.

Has any one got any ideas of any others? I'm looking at around 2K to 3K in repairs (I don't have time or the facilities to do this work myself) with a mechanic I really trust, and once this is done, I don't plan on doing more than another brake job and oil changes as needed. If I can reduce the cost of the alternator with something reliable, it'll help big time since that's 1/3rd to 1/2 of the costs I'm looking at.

Other things I need right now are a seal on the front axel, a loose ball joint, need for a new muffler, and possibly new O2 sensors (front and rear) and a new front catalytic converter (Ontario tests for emissions).

Thanks folks,

Suzukiginsu

·
Registered
366 Posts
it seems odd to me that your going through alternators that fast. you might want to check for shorts and bad grounds. did you ever get your alternator tested after removal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I've never had the alternator that's pulled tested. Keeping the vehicle in the shop is not something I have the luxury of doing, and with shop fees going up... I know the mechanic that has looked at the car most recently muttered something else was bothering him about it, but he didn't expand on it - probably trying not to scare me. :)

I may let them play a bit this week - I'm working through reducing my overtime build up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I played bean counter and tallied up the work I've had done on our Aerio. over $4K this year, with the projected costs escalating to being beyond the amount I mentioned earlier, this meant that the Aerio was going to cost me nearly half of what I paid for it new.

So, with that, I started shopping. We've purchased a Mazda 6 as a result. My favourite mechanic is going to try and sell the aerio to anyone that has the desire to buy it. Kudo's to all the folks who've posted technical how to's here. I've mainly lurked, studied and done the things I could do myself as a result, so my hat is tipped to you for showing the way.

My eldest teenager is sad to see the Aerio go - he earned his license on it, but I think the Mazda 6 is starting to steal his heart.

I'll probably not be signing in here again, so I'll bid you all adieu,

Suzukiginsu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts