Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02’ XL-7 4X2 Manual trans I’ve had since new. I’m looking at going to a 17” rim and was thinking of going to a 245 55 17 or a 255 50 17. These won’t be driven in the snow. Has anyone had either?any issues? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,582 Posts
I have used neither of those sizes, but, I see no reason why either size should cause problems.

The OEM tire is a 235/60R16 which works out to a 27.1" diameter, the 245/55R17 calculates to a 27.61 diameter, with less than half an inch of extra width and I know there is room in the arches to accommodate that, the 255/50R17 calculates to a 27.04, which is not a significant difference in height and perhaps 3/4" difference in width, and I don't see why there would be issues with clearance.

Having said that, personally I will not run a tire with a lower profile than 60, but that is dictated by the roads which I frequent, you need to know where you're driving if you choose to do so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No-one needs less than a 60 series tire on a road vehicle unless they drive to where they are going to race it on a
tarmac racetrack. Anything less that that will be prone to sidewall damage from kerb contact and sharp edged potholes, as well as transmitting a lot of road noise and bump thump into the vehicle. Wet/muddy/snowy grip will be compromised because in going to a lower than 60 series profile IE a wider tire, the weight per unit area of the contact patch is reduced, so aquaplaning on wet roads will set in earlier at lower speeds. A thinner tire on muddy/snowy surfaces has a better chance
of digging through to something on which to grip. 65 series is a good compromise for performance, roadholding and comfort. I have seen idiots in PA with 30 series tires and bling wheels
on pick-up trucks, though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts