Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I bought this Tracker in December and have done some work on it since. This week, I took it to a mechanic I know. He pointed out there is a coolant leak because the lower radiator hose connection to a metal pipe is wet and he smelled coolant. This pipe connection is located dead center as you look down behind the radiator. He suspects the metal pipe may be corroded because there is a holding clamp attached to it there which holds the pipe to the engine block. The hose itself is older and appears dried out. I have not lost any significant coolant but I had to drive the vehicle on the interstate to get to his place which gave the engine a workout. I snatched a picture from the internet to show this pipe--- the connection to the lower radiator hose is at the bottom. He told me to find a replacement but I doubt this part is easy to find. Is there any history of this pipe being a problem for leakage or rust out? My guess is the problem is the hose and not the pipe. The mechanic buddy definitely knows his stuff and I hate to second guess him. For the sake of expense, I hope I am right. ??? Any input please? The Tracker has 150,000 miles on it and is in decent shape overall.

JR

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
First...

Clean the adjoining pipe end and install a new hose AND clamp. Between a clean surface, a new compliant rubber hose and a fresh clamp to secure it, I'll bet that you'll be good to go. ;)

Should you find a hole at the end of that pipe, slide the hose back a little further and clamp upstream of the hole area.

Report back if you need additional info on replacing the whole pipe section.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've used a flexible gasketing type compound (eg. Loctite Master Gasket) on problem hoses in the past. It helps prevent leaks by filling any holes in the pitted/ rusted surface and also forms a seal with the hose. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks ---I'll advise. Will be scheduling repairs with the mechanic. For now I'll tell him to work with the hose...on this as I will be providing the parts.

JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts