Suzuki Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Changed the oil and checked it over last night and everything looks good but the PS driveshaft is not all the way in the diff housing. It has about a 3/32" gap to the case and jiggles a bit but does not want to go in any further. Any ideas how to get it in all the way?
circlip on the end of the shaft binding?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Is the suspension 'lifted" in such a way that you now require longer shafting to accommodate for the increase in geometry? :unsure:
No, bone stock. It certainly has the length to go in but it does not want to. This is the same part I had to use a cold chisel and a sledge to get out. I replaced the driveshaft and everything inside the diff looked okay.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
the clip has to compress to go in fully, pull the shaft and check for witness marks indicating that is indeed the cause, to confirm, remove the clip and try inserting the shaft without the clip as a test fit

·
Super Moderator
12,463 Posts
I'm going from memory here, but, I believe if it is the circlip that is preventing full engagement, the shaft is going to be more than 3/32 inch out of place - I can check it when I get home this evening as I have a spare shaft & differential on a shelf.

When you were removing the shaft did you break the original circlip? If so did you get all the pieces out?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I'm going from memory here, but, I believe if it is the circlip that is preventing full engagement, the shaft is going to be more than 3/32 inch out of place - I can check it when I get home this evening as I have a spare shaft & differential on a shelf.

When you were removing the shaft did you break the original circlip? If so did you get all the pieces out?
Yes, the circlip got sheared and the end of the driveshaft got chipped. I took it all apart and found the circlip.

·
Super Moderator
12,463 Posts
The question I asked was did you get all the pieces

20200127_161402.jpg

Above is the right side inner CV axle - the splined section that inserts into the differential side gear is over an inch long - if it's the circlip that is preventing it from being fully inserted, then the joint is going to be at least an inch out of place - if the gap you have is 3/32 inch, the circlip is already inside the side gear and you have something else preventing it from being pushed "fully home".

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
did i just see the word "chipped? what got chipped and is that actually whats stopping it meshhing in the section just past the circlip groove in the diff?, that would make sense and explain why its not going all the way in. try it without the circlip and see where its binding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The question I asked was did you get all the pieces

View attachment 95536

Above is the right side inner CV axle - the splined section that inserts into the differential side gear is over an inch long - if it's the circlip that is preventing it from being fully inserted, then the joint is going to be at least an inch out of place - if the gap you have is 3/32 inch, the circlip is already inside the side gear and you have something else preventing it from being pushed "fully home".
I understand, and I am as sure as I can be that I got all of them. I took it apart, cleaned it, stuck a magnet inside and got the circlip. I agree that is should not be the circlip causing it to stick out but the intermediate shaft for the DS had to be pounded in as well, it did not go nicely nor did it come out nicely.

Not sure why this vehicle is so bad for this, I have dealt with it on other cars and it was not a problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
did i just see the word "chipped? what got chipped and is that actually whats stopping it meshhing in the section just past the circlip groove in the diff?, that would make sense and explain why its not going all the way in. try it without the circlip and see where its binding.
Yes, I will probably have to do that just not real excited about pulling it all apart right now.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts