Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping a member of this forum can help me with a lighting issue. My 2002 1.3 petrol wagon has a different level of light coming from each headlight unit when side lights are on. While both are on, the nearside one looks much duller than the offside one. When looking at the rear of the light unit, I have identified the indicator bulb and headlight bulb and two further plug in bulbs one bottom left (when looking under the bonnet at the NS light unit) and one bottom right. I have pulled the bottom right bulb out of the unit, it looks like an LED but so far I have been unable to pull it from its connector. I have turned all the lights on and the bulb does not light up at all. Can someone advise me whether this IS a bulb and if so should it just pull out - as I said it looks like an LED.

·
Super Moderator
12,346 Posts
First - there is no way a 2002 Suzuki would have been fitted with LED lights from the factory, so whilst I have no idea what you're looking at, it's unlikely to be an LED.

Now - I don't know which of the 1.3 Wagon R models you have, but the two I looked at use different headlamp configurations - one has a double filament headlamp bulb (both high & low beam), a side lamp and a turn signal, and the other uses separate bulbs for each headlamp beam along with the side light and the turn signal - I'd like to think that the headlamp bulbs are easily recognizable by size & shape alone, but there is any doubt you could just turn the various lights on and figure it out that way - you can also compare left & right sides, and if all else fails swap the bulbs from one side to the other, see if the problem transfers with the bulb..

Incidentally, I suggest you avoid terms such as nearside/offside & driver side/passenger side - be specific and remember some countries drive on the left side of the road, whilst others drive on the right - avoid confusion.

It's unlikely (in my opinion) that any of the smaller light bulbs in the headlamp assembly is a major contributor to it's light output once the headlights are on - if your car is fitted with the double filament headlamp bulbs, look closely and determine which filaments are lit in which switch positions, only one filament should be lit for high beam or low beam, and it should be the same one on both sides.

One last thing - before you do anything else - check BOTH headlight fuses, make sure they are good - you might think a failed headlight fuse would cause the light to not come on, but it doesn't quite work the way you might think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input, much appreciated. Firstly my problem is side lights, both main and dip beam are fine, When I stand in front of the car with side lights on, the left (passenger/nearside) looking from the drivers seat is noticeably less bright than the other side. They are both lit up but one is brighter than the other, significantly so. Looking at the back of the light unit, there are four bits of wiring going into the unit; the one at the top is the indicator bulb, the big one in the middle is the main/dip beam bulb and there are two others lower left and lower right. I have pulled the lower right one out - it looks like an LED and with side lights on (and visibly on albeit dull) it is dead. If it's not an LED I have no idea what it is. As suggested I have checked the fuses and they are fine. I will continue investigating.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
replace the lamps with the correct ones and see whats wrong after that. Someone could have fitted an aftermarket something....could also be a bad connection. Check everything and start from a known good point, all new lamps in all positions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for responding - I have now solved the issue. The device I unplugged from the light cluster that I thought was an LED was not an LED as fordem correctly stated; it is the headlight adjuster. Having established that I removed the bulb at the other side of the cluster - a w5w bulb. While it lit up it was all chromed over and reducing the light output. I fitted a new bulb problem solved. Moral of the story and message to me don't overthink things. Thanks to both of you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
12,346 Posts
I saw the headlamp adjuster in the parts drawing and wondered if that might be what you were looking at.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a final postscript to this issue, I jumped in the car yesterday evening after dark, turned the lights on and noticed that the light throw from the headlight in question on dip beam was high and off to the left. After considering this the only common denominator in this was the headlight adjuster (that which I thought was an LED). This morning therefore I pulled it out, turned it through 180 degrees and fitted it back into the headlight. I then shone the lights onto a wall from about 25 feet - problem solved light throw now back to normal. Big learning curve for me - thanks again for contributing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts