Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2001 vitara, 2l, 4x4, auto transmission. Engine is seized, don't know why yet, but am trying to remove engine to repair. But I can't get at the torque converter bolts to remove them because the flywheel won't move at all. Can I just remove the eng-tranny bolts and remove the engine without taking out the T/C bolts?
I can remove the eng and tranny as one piece I suppose but would I still have same problem when it is out????????
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
I think you can slide the torque converter (still attached to the flex-plate) out of the tranny, but I don't know if you'll have enough ROOM for the engine to go forward AND have the T/C clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Max. We have removed the rad and everything else so will give it a try. Appreciate your reply. Will let you know if successful.

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
If it doesn't slide out, try rotating the drive shaft as you pull. That would benefit in a MANUAL trans (in gear), not sure w/the auto trans.

On the engine seizure...IF coolant hydro-locked, remove the plugs and she'll rotate.

The trans AND engine should come out as one too. Then you could deal w/separating them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Max. We have removed the rad and everything else so will give it a try. Appreciate your reply. Will let you know if successful.

·
Registered
191 Posts
the TC will come out with the motor fairly easy just don't be afraid to pull, jiggle, and shake it =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Finally got the eng and tranny out. Had to disassemble bottom end to get crank to turn and get TC off. Don't know yet why engine seized. One more question. The oil seal for the torque converter.........going to replace with a new one. Can I just pry out the old one from the front or do I have to remove the plate that it is in and get from backside?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts