Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time posting here so bear with me. My daughter has an '01 JX 2WD with the 2.0L motor and AT. She was driving back from California to Idaho and around Fallon, Nevada the timing chain let go. Unfortunately, she rented a uhaul and towed the vehicle 350 miles with the transmission in neutral. :(

Now I know that you are supposed to remove the drive shaft when towing for long distances, obviously she didn't and I didn't think about mentioning that to her before she started back. So you probably know where I am going with this.

Anyway, I fixed the timing chain, (thanks to some great instructions on this forum!) replaced the bent valves and had a machine shop resurface the head and set the valves. When I went to back the vehicle out of the garage, no reverse. I put it in drive and it had forward gears. So I pushed it out of the garage and took it for several jaunts around town. It has first, second, third and torque converter lock, no drive gear and no reverse. When driving down the road if you let off the throttle the rpms drop down to idle, hit the throttle and it revs back up to where it was when holding speed and pulls fine. Kick down works as well. I checked all the connections around the motor thinking I may have forgot to plug in a harness or something, everything looks good wires all look good. No MIL lights being thrown. I did take it to a local tranny shop that offered a free diagnosis and they tried to put it on a tester, but it wasn't compatible with their equipment after explaining the scenario, they mentioned that if I picked up a used transmission that they would install it for $500

So my questions are:
Do I pick up a used transmission and have it installed?
Has anyone performed a used transmission swap themselves?
Should I take it to a dealer and have them diagnose the issue since they have the proper equipment?
Does anyone have any other tips as to what might be causing the issue?

Sorry for the long winded first post. Appreciate any advice.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
It sounds toasted...

Tough one Stang. And they would INSTALL a used trans for $500! :eek: Dang.

I wish that you were close by. I have a 2WD trans out of a 2000 GV with 60K on it I'd hook you up with. ;) Got it for the spare engine that it is attached to, and I'm 5 speed stick guy.

I think that you are at the mercy of the Dealer OR a 2nd opinion from a Transmission Shop, like one of the chain ones that can better diagnose.

Welcome aboard too!

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
You can also try sourcing a used trans through this link. And keep in mind that the 2.0 engined Chevy Tracker of the same era trans will work too. :)

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice Max, wish I was closer as well. :)

I was thinking about installing it myself as there isn't a transfer case to deal with, but I am a bit leery about the newer transmissions. Is $500 for an install out of line?

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
Is $500 for an install out of line?
I feel that it is. 2WD only, so I'd estimate half that expense. Several hours labor at the max.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
On second thought, I don't think that my 2.5 GV tranny will bolt up to your Vit. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip on car-part.com they have a used (A grade) transmission out of an 02 for $400. It is a bit of a drive, 600 miles round trip, but I am going to see fit if they will ship it. I might look into installing it myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts