Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to determine if my sunroof is factory or aftermarket. So I'm not sure it anybody can offer any advice here.

Both my front floor wells get very wet after a hard rain or melting snow. I know it's not coolant, since my coolant bottle is always full. I'm pretty sure the sunroof drains are at least partially clogged, so that rainwater fills the sunroof tray and eventually the overflow runs down the A pillars and collects on the floor.

I can only see the front two drains in the sunroof tray. I've tried blowing them, and I've tried gently rodding them out. I've tried opening the body drains on the bottom of the rocker panels. Still, my floor stays wet from basically October thru June.

Thanks for any suggestions.

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ran about 3' of narrow hose down both front corner drains, and bottomed out both times. Lots of dirt. I blew air into both sides, pulled the hose, and then poured water into the tray, and blew again. I also cleared the drains under the rockers.

I think this may have cleared the front drains. I could hear air hissing in each bottom corner but there's no way to tell exactly how the water drains into the rockers without taking everything apart.

I should know more once it rains hard again.

· Registered
774 Posts
Can you post a couple pics of your sunroof? That might help folks down the road if someone has the same issues.
In any case, a good cleaning sure didn't hurt anything. Hope that solves the problems for you.

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, sorry I should have posted these earlier.

My Chevy service manual doesn't mention a sunroof for any Tracker model, so I'm pretty sure it's aftermarket. One button operation, with sunshade.

The exterior photos don't show much. Even when you're right on top of the tray, you can barely see the front corner drains. I can't see any rear drains although I'm sure they're back there.

From my experience, this is pretty typical for all sunroofs. The tubes will kink and get mucky and old and brittle and so will the plastic tray. Too much maintenance for my liking. That's why, once I fix this problem, I'll be selling the car. My ZR2 hot rod doesn't have a sunroof.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting
Car Mirror Land vehicle Vehicle Window
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Window Hood

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I don't know the condition of the rear drains, I try to park facing downhill. My floors are still drying but the windows have quit fogging up. So I think I made some progress.

Reactions: skills4lou

· Registered
14,010 Posts
I bet that's a factory one, looks damn similar to the one on my 3G

There should be 2 rear drains that go down the rear pillar each side and exit behind the wheel arch liner. Mine are a favourite hiding space for spider families
To get to my drains, its easier to undo the screws holding the glass into the frame and remove the glass. Refitting is a simple matter of getting all 4 corners level with the roof and tightening the screws. The screws are (or should be) hidden behind the bellows on each side where the glass drops down as it retracts. They unclip off the frame allowing access.

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The screws are (or should be) hidden behind the bellows on each side where the glass drops down as it retracts. They unclip off the frame allowing access.
Yeah it's that unclipping part that I want to avoid. That's usually when I end up breaking something. Still, in good weather I may check into that if I don't sell it first. Thanks for the tip.

Do the front tray drains also drain into the front wheel arch liner? (I assume we're talking about the same thing, the big black plastic inner fender liner?)

· Registered
14,010 Posts
Yeah it's that unclipping part that I want to avoid. That's usually when I end up breaking something. Still, in good weather I may check into that if I don't sell it first. Thanks for the tip.

Do the front tray drains also drain into the front wheel arch liner? (I assume we're talking about the same thing, the big black plastic inner fender liner?)
Yep, that's where the fronts drain, down the "A" pillar and into the front guards behind the liners.

Unclipping the bellows shouldn't be difficult, just look at the top side, should be 3 clips where they meet the frame with the glass, gently wiggle and pull towards inside of car, they aren't tight and once one releases the bellows sort of fall out.

Reactions: rallison203

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bet that's a factory one, looks damn similar to the one on my 3G
I wonder if the VIN would tell me anything? Probably not. On the old rigs, you can tell a lot from decoding the VIN numbers. Certain models or factories had certain options that others didn't have. I don't know if they installed sunroofs on vehicles produced at the CAMI plant in Canada.

On mine the sunshield fabric matches the headliner perfectly, as you can see in the photo. I figure the aftermarket installer probably just re-used the old headliner material. I have seen one or two other 4DR Trackers with a sunroof, but I'm pretty sure they were all aftermarket. Maybe a dealer option, IDK.

· Registered
14,010 Posts
I'm looking st the pic and the hood lining definitely looks factory.

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any of you GV owners have any tips on keeping the floors dry??

I cleared the front drains, car parked facing downhill. Floors still getting wet. Maybe a drain hose became disconnected?

I'm blaming my sunroof because I'm out of ideas. Thanks for any tips.

· Registered
14,010 Posts
Any of you GV owners have any tips on keeping the floors dry??

I cleared the front drains, car parked facing downhill. Floors still getting wet. Maybe a drain hose became disconnected?

I'm blaming my sunroof because I'm out of ideas. Thanks for any tips.
Heater vent drains,? in front of windscreen they drain in behind the wheel arch liners. If they get blocked, water gets in thru the heater

Reactions: rallison203

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Heater vent drains,? in front of windscreen they drain in behind the wheel arch liners. If they get blocked, water gets in thru the heater
Thanks, I'll look for that.

Otherwise I still suspect the sunroof. Somebody here must have had a leaky sunroof at one time??

I'd ask Tracker owners the same question, but I've never seen another 2G Tracker with a sunroof.

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure you don't mean AC drains? I'm not familiar with heater drains. My heater core isn't leaking coolant.

· Registered
14,010 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean AC drains? I'm not familiar with heater drains. My heater core isn't leaking coolant.
No, I mean the air intake drains in front of the windscreen by the wiper pivots. Where the car sucks the fresh air into the heater from outside the car

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I mean the air intake drains in front of the windscreen by the wiper pivots. Where the car sucks the fresh air into the heater from outside the car
Got it.

When I had the engine out in 2019, I removed that little square-ish plate on the center of the firewall that's fastened with two bolts, and removed all leaves and other debris.

Would that clear the drain you're referring to? If not, how would you clean it?

· Registered
774 Posts
You're close with that little plate, but need to get out to either side of the vehicle to get to the actual drains. They'll be out near where the front of the door and the front quarter panel meet. It MIGHT require pulling the hood, then plastic fascia/grille that covers the air inlet openings to gain access. Be careful reaching in there, you might find the pointy end of a screw with your hand. A cheap endoscope will be very useful to see what's what.

· Administrator
19,493 Posts
It should be possible to pull the plastic fascia/grille without removing the hood - I'm fairly certain I've done it, and equally certain I've never pulled the hood.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts