Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7. Can I change the transmission fluid at 132,000 miles? I didn't change it at the recommended 100,000 miles & now have 132,000 miles. Some say to change it as it needs new fluid, but some say not to change it because it will cause problems because of the detergent in the newer fluid. I don't know what to do.

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
I'd change it.

As you have discovered, there are differing views, and all sorts of horror stories on this topic - a google search will get you people claiming that the their transmission was fine until they changed the fluid, but they don't tell you why they changed the fluid.

Suzuki's method is basically to drain the pan and refill - it will not change all the fluid because a significant quantity will be trapped in the torque converter and also in the cooler lines - so what you'd be doing (if you follow that method) is a refresh, which you can repeat two or three times over a period of several weeks and that will get most of the old fluid out.

If it's any encouragement at all - I was in the same dilemma as you are with my Mitsubishi (which has the same transmission) - and one day, I said to heck with it, I'm going to do it - I spent a few hours in the drive way (the Mitsubishi procedure is slightly different) and changed out the fluid - that was July of 2012 - I did have one transmission related issue afterwards, but that was a broken wire and not related to the fluid change.

·
Super Moderator
4,466 Posts
like Fordem said, drain and fill it a few times and you should be ok. These trannys are very strong. Very rare you hear of one even being rebuilt

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
:confused: If you don't change it the trans will definitely be a goner.

The fluid life will greatly depend on the use of the vehicle. Lots of city driving and stuff like towing would suggest more frequent changes.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
PS: The service manual says 18000 mile/ 24mth intervals for severe driving conditions eg towing, driving on rough muddy roads, or repeated short trips in cold weather!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I changed mine after about 75 thousand and it looked like it needed it. I drained it, waited about a week and drained it again and dropped the pan and changed the inner filter the second time. I had a slight annoyance prior changing it that when you would let off the gas more quickly than normal it was not smooth and would jerk your head as a result. After I changed it, it smoothed out and went away. The filter was a fine screen and I'm not really sure I needed a new one and probably could have cleaned it, but it was fairly cheap and came with the gaskets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts