7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my 01 v6 vitara surges at slow speeds most noticeable in 3 gear
Have done all plugs and coils and cleaned throttle body

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Need more of a baseline.

What codes on a scan? Fuel quality good? Ever add injector cleaner (fuel additive) to the mix? Cleaned the MAF sensor? Mileage? Main Cat Convertor the original? Transmission with a recent service?

Welcome aboard too. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,530 Posts
Is this a V6 Vitara (SV620 - 2.0 liter H20a V6) or a V6 Grand Vitara (SQ625 - 2.5 liter H25a V6)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more of a baseline.

What codes on a scan? Fuel quality good? Ever add injector cleaner (fuel additive) to the mix? Cleaned the MAF sensor? Mileage? Main Cat Convertor the original? Transmission with a recent service?

Welcome aboard too. :)
No codes, fuel is good and new filter its a manual transmission. Have cleaned the MAF sensor

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your clutch might be slipping? Does your RPM gauge increase rapidly when applying the accelerator, with no actual acceleration? How many miles are on your Vitara?

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Changed the fuel filter (routine maintenance) in search of a fix?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Changed the fuel filter (routine maintenance) in search of a fix?
That would be fuel starvation, quick test, put in low gear and take engine to high rev (this way you wont be nicked for speeding), if the engine does not falter, fuel delivery is good...

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Stationary / no load / high free revs alone may not do it. The engine needs quantity usage / fuel demand of significance for adequate testing. ;)

Lower gears, grade inclination, or aggressive acceleration would be a better move.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Lower gears, grade inclination, or aggressive acceleration would be a better move.
was that not what Philip just said? put in low gear and take to high revs?
I would do the same but add a bit of brake pedal to it to load the engine up more.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Anything to near max out fuel demand. :)

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Yes or you could go new age and us a scanner and monitor the fuel trims,, Sheees!

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Then the issue apparently isn't lack of sufficient fuel delivery. ;)

One last preventative maintenance fuel additive suggestion (for its injector cleaning and water dispersing effects) prior to delving in any deeper.....

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I know this is over the top but why don't you get this engine on a scope, one channel on the coils (primary/amp clamp) and a second on the injectors(amp clamp)... or both on the same channel although that would be cluttered.

Again, monitoring the fuel trims would be a start, rather than guessing.

I am not adverse to the preventative maintenance, but if you have been using top tier fuel there would be enough detergent to keep the injectors clean...

·
Registered
13 Posts
EGR valve, I seem to recall an actual tech bulletin on this way back years ago, I used to work for Suzuki NZ

·
Registered
506 Posts
EGR valve was my guess, only because I think I'm seeing similar problems now that you mention it. I was getting an EGR related code after my V6 Tracker rebuild, which went away, but I am noticing a slight surge.

LittleS, can you describe your surge in more detail? I started to notice a surge with steady pressure on the gas going uphill at a steady speed. Engine seems to surge up / down very slightly and only for a second or two.

Seafoam was my 1st thought too, rather than take that thing apart again... I would love to learn how to properly use a scope and advanced diagnostics but I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
I would love to learn how to properly use a scope and advanced diagnostics but I'm not there yet.
Learning how to connect it is a big thing too. Interpreting the results is the big one, that comes with practice. I learned years ago by looking at "good" vehicles so I could understand what a "normal" waveform looks like.
Check your local tech institute, some do night classes in engine diagnostics, might be a place to start to learn how to use this stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts