Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so got a used 2001 Grand Vitara automatic with 4x4 recently. Sometimes it starts when I put the key in the ignition in the run position before I try to start it. Also my turn signal fuse randomly blows. The brake light also randomly turns on and off. In the steering column the ignition and other switches are loose and moving some.

Where should I begin?

Replace ignition maybe?

IMG_20200623_121724.jpg

thanks for the help any assistance would be appreciated have a great day in these interesting times.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
You could start by figuring out what is physically loose in & around the ignition switch & column switches and tighten it up, they are most likely held in place by a bunch of phillips head screws - that might solve some of your problems. It also probably wouldn't hurt to dust it off with an old paintbrush or maybe some compressed air.

When you say the brake light flashes on randomly, are you referring to the one(s) on the dash or the ones on the back of the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ones on the dash. Okay will clean it up tomorrow after this heat wave passes.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
There may be two "brake" lights on the dash, one for the ABS (if the vehicle has them) and the other is a combination low fluid & hand/parking brake reminder - start by topping up the brake fluid to the full line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so brake fluid is good. Not an abs issue far as I know.
There is no way that I can see to tighten the ignition switch, which is rocking back and forth with slight pressure. Thus allowing the colum switches to move as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
There is no way that I can see to tighten the ignition switch, which is rocking back and forth with slight pressure. Thus allowing the colum switches to move as well.
The ignition switch is attached to the steering column via the steering lock. The column switches are not. If there is movement that should not be there, then something is loose.

You could start by figuring out what is physically loose in & around the ignition switch & column switches and tighten it up, they are most likely held in place by a bunch of phillips head screws - that might solve some of your problems.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
You have a loose or broken bolt or mount on the column, start looking at the security snap off bolts that hold the whole assembly to the column and work out what's letting it move

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
So might need to replace the ignition assembly then. Or the column itself.
I could say yes to both, or, I could repeat what I've already said twice before

You could start by figuring out what is physically loose in & around the ignition switch & column switches and tighten it up, they are most likely held in place by a bunch of phillips head screws - that might solve some of your problems.
Until YOU figure out what is loose...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts