Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been struggling with my 2001 tracker for a week or so...

All was fine until I shut it off one day and now it doesn't want to start...

I've done some troubleshooting and have determined that there is no spark....

What components are my most likely problem...?

No trouble codes...

Thanks

John

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
2001 2.0 Tracker - can I assume you're in North America?

How have you determined there is no spark?

Assuming that you get the usual dash lights (oil pressure, charge, check engine, etc.) when you switch the ignition on, check for 12v power to the coils (measure between the two outer wires in the connector with the ignition on).

No spark with power to the coils means the ECU isn't driving them which could be either a defective ECU or the ECU not seeing the required inputs.

If you have your own code reader, attach it, crank the engine and then, without switching the ignition off, check for codes - still nothing?

If I recall correctly, the ECU gets a signal from the starter circuit so it knows when you're cranking the engine, and if it doesn't see a signal from the cam sensor, it will set a code that points to the sensor, but, the code may clear when the ignition is switched off and back on - no signal from the cam sensor could be either a defective cam sensor or possibly a broken cam chain - I believe you can see the intake cam through the oil filler - try looking down it whilst someone else turns the engine over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fordem,

Thanks for the information... I will double check the power to the coils...

I do have a really simple scan tool...

I'll try what you've recommended...

Note:

This engine does start sometimes, but will only run for a few moments, then will shut back off, and usually won't restart. Very intermittent... When it does run, it runs normal...

Thanks

John

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
If it starts sometimes that eliminates the cam chains as a potential cause, but I think it sort of leans a little more towards the cam sensor as being the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have replaced it when I was experiencing the "hot start/stall" problems... It fixed it and I haven't had any trouble since... (probably been 6 to 8 months..)

What threw me off on this issue is that it doesn't get hot.... But, I think it's worth a try...

One question...

Does the crank sensor have the same effect on the spark as the cam sensor?

Does anyone have any specs on testing the cam and the crank sensors, electrically?

I'd like to check to see if I'm getting the correct outputs from each sensor, while I've got no spark...

Thanks

John

·
Super Moderator
20,007 Posts
A inoperative Crankshaft sensor won't prevent the vehicle from running.

Testing of components may be in the Service Manuals if you want to peruse it.

My Files

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I really thought the crank shaft sensor provided an RPM signal to the PCM, thereby initiating the PCM to output to the coils... Does this system use only the cam sensor? If so, for what purpose does the crank sensor serve?

I will test the cam sensor output, theoretically, I should not get the proper output right now if it is the culprit...

Thanks

John

·
Super Moderator
20,007 Posts
The way I understand it, and as further explained to me by a Zuk Tech / member Larry, is that the Crank Sensor works in conjunction with the Cam Sensor for REPORTING misfire situations (coding the specific cylinder misfire origination), as opposed to causing any other sort of problems if inoperable.

Service Manual Crank Sensor excerpt...

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
ECM (PCM) measures the angle speed of the crankshaft based on the pulse signal from the CKP sensor and CMP
sensor for each cylinder. If it detects a large change in the angle speed of the crankshaft, it concludes occurrence
of a misfire. When the number of misfire is counted by the ECM (PCM) beyond the DTC detecting condition, it determines the cylinder where the misfire occurred and outputs it as DTC.

This clouded my judgement initially, as I have worked on vehicles that IF the Crank Sensor did not observe rotation of the engine during cranking, it wouldn't start (by fail-safe design). The Zuk is set up differently, in other words.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.