Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Vitara 2.0L that I use as a hunting / off road toy. It has A/C on it but hasn't worked (the high pressure lines have are shot) since I got it and I really don't need A/C. I want to take the compressor off the serpentine belt routing as I'm afraid with no oil in the compressor soon it will seize. I know if I do this I will need a shorter belt. Can I do something as easy as get a belt for a Vitara that doesn't have A/C and install it? Has anyone else ever done this? If so do you have the belt part number I would need? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
The compressor isn't engaged, just the self-lubricated clutch idler bearing is spinning. You have nothing to fear. :)

If you want to peruse removing / re-routing then maybe someone else (with a 4-banger) will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
This is you, right?

Center pic...

I see with and without A/C belts listed. Maybe it's that easy. :huh:

2000 SUZUKI VITARA Belt

I just don't know if brackets or components are arranged differently on the two options, aside from the obvious belt size change.

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
A 5PK1545 should fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max,
Yep, the middle one is my belt config. If I don't have to worry about the compressor I might just leave it alone.:D I have a squalling (whining) type noise coming from the engine area somewhere that varies in pitch by engine load and rpm and I figured it may have been the compressor. I figure I'll start by changing the belt tensioner (I've had Chevy trucks with this problem) and see if that may be it that with a new belt and see if that may solve it. Is it a good idea to change the idler pulley at the same time?

Fordem,
Is that the belt number for no AC?

I thrash this poor vehicle 5 months a year so now its time to do my annual maintenance!

Thanks for all the help, y'all are quick to respond!

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
RockAuto lists them. The crazy part is that there are different lengths listed, but only slight. You may want to stay with a local buy so that you can exchange one if it doesn't fit.

Examples:

DAYCO Part # 5050608 More Info Poly Rib Belt, Premium; Exceeds OE Specifications Effective Length 60.83 / Top Width .68 / No of Ribs 5 / Thickness 0.169
Main Drive; w/o A.C.
$13.33

GATES Part # K050609 More Info {#25050609} Micro-V AT Premium OE V-Ribbed Belt; K05 21/32" x 61 1/2"
W/O A.C.
Serpentine Belt; Except AIR CONDITIONED
$15.35

GOODYEAR Part # 4050609 More Info Gatorback; Poly-V; 5 Ribs / Effective Length 60.875" / Outside Length 61.625"
Accessory Drive; Poly-V; Without AC
$16.56

Once you remove the belt you should spin the other components and listen for noise & rough turning accessories, on your noise hunt. That includes your compressor clutch, to rule that out.

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
Yes - that is the "no a/c" belt, with a/c uses a 5pk1650 - it's possible that the compressor clutch bearing may be whining, remove the belt and spin the pulleys by hand, if they don't spin smoothly & silently, replace them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed one of this (on my Ford) and it works.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Bypass-Pulley-Minivans-34199/dp/B000GJ7GWA/ref=sr_1_66?ie=UTF8&qid=1396577488&sr=8-66&keywords=A%2FC+Compressor+Bypass+Pulley[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
Pretty cool Dinamo! :)

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
Maybe on a Ford, but on a Suzuki I don't see the sense in it - a $40 bypass pulley compared to a $17 belt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe on a Ford, but on a Suzuki I don't see the sense in it - a $40 bypass pulley compared to a $17 belt.
What about if someone can not afford a new A/C compressor or decides to get rid of the old one ???

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
What about if someone can not afford a new A/C compressor or decides to get rid of the old one ???
Maybe I should re-phrase that for you...

IF YOU were the original poster and had a 2.0 Vitara with a defective a/c compressor, could not afford a new a/c compressor, and were offered two options, the first being to remove the compressor and fit a bypass pulley costing $40, and the second being to remove the compressor and replace the existing belt with a new one costing $17, which would you choose?

In your scenario, money is tight, are you go to spend $40 when you can do it for less?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No more noise.............

Thanks for all the help on this guys, I figured out the squalling, it turned out the idler pulley as well as the belt tensioner bearings were going out. I did try the shorter belt to by pass the AC and that did work but I decided to leave it in line and go back with the OEM length belt instead.

I also looked at the compressor bypass pulley but not only are the $40 but you cant find one for a Suzi and I didn't want to buy one then have to adapt it.

Thanks Again! :D

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
I did try the shorter belt to by pass the AC and that did work
A different belt routing path, meeting with position interference due to your having an "A/C" equipped engine I'll bet.

Glad that you got it sorted out! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts