Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Suzuki Vitara grinds when going in gear can you use a lighter grade of oil like 30 weight

Super Moderator
Are you talking transmission lube? 馃槜 Then no.

Tell us more. WHEN does it grind? In all gear selections?

How much clutch free-play do you have measured at the pedal upper end of travel?

What is the trans gear lube LEVEL and when was the gear oil last changed?

Super Moderator
Hmm - the most respected transmission guy out here actually recommends a straight 30 wt oil - personally I've ignored his recommendation and chosen to stick with the what Suzuki specifies.

That aside, switching to a lighter weight oil is unlikely to reduce "grinding into gear" - answer Max' questions and we may be able to guide you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch has proper replay and travel apparently 2nd gear synchro has been replaced crimes in second and third more so when it is cold and it has 75 90 weight oil in it

Super Moderator
Then if you haven't already, try a Synthetic gear oil like Redline. It can calm minor engagement and noise issues.

Beyond that, you can experiment with 30W but I certainly don't recommend it. Yes, it was used in some later model transmissions BUT they have the clearances and component design that accept lighter lubes.

Super Moderator
Clutch has proper replay and travel apparently 2nd gear synchro has been replaced crimes in second and third more so when it is cold and it has 75 90 weight oil in it
Grinding in second & third - but - on the upshift (1>2, 2>3) or the downshift (4>3, 3>2) - on the downshift would suggest worn syncho rings.

Registered
I had this a few weeks ago. Neighbour complained of crunchy 2nd gear change and locking in 5th sometimes on is punto. Turned out to be worn push rod on the clutch cylinder not allowing full release of the clutch. Maybe you could look into that and also inspect the gear rods on the gearbox my old ignis this and that was the clip what holds the gear rods in place and that only affect 1st and 2nd gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts