Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ...

Thank you for taking the time to read this post!

I have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 1.7cc 3 door 4X4 (Manufactured in South Africa)

Took it in for a service 23 December 2004 and since then it has developed a tricky problem. If you drive it for say more than 30min's and stop (pop into a shop or whatever) get back in and try to start the engine just turns (No spark or Fuel I think!) ...
If you leave it for 10 to 15 mins it starts up and goes fine again.

We think the problem is somehow connected to hot days when aircon is being used. On a very hot day it has even just cut out and stoped while friving. If you wait for 15 min's it goes again. (Temp Gauge showed normal!)

Local dealers tested everything from the computer to disabeling the alarm, immobilizer and the likes ... problem persists!

Any advice will be appreciated ... willing to try anything!

Its a great little car, lots of guts and fly's over sand etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello

Sounds like a fuel evaporation problem to me. Has a heat shield been removed? Has the fuel pipe become dislodged and is closer to the exhaust?

Simple experiment - carry a cloth in a bowl of cold water with you - when it happens next time try wetting as much of the fuel supply that is visible to cool down as much as possible and try to start it again. If it works quickly would possibly confirm that it is due to fuel evaporation as mentioned above.

I cured a similar problem in an old VW Golf I once had by making a heat shield out of thin metal (like a flattened out tin can!) and placed it securely between the carb and the manifold.

Another possibility is vacuum in the tank. Check that the seals around the filler cap are not damaged and blocking a breather tube - although beware that some GV tanks are designed to be pressurised.

At least this should give you something to talk about with your friendly Suzuki mechanic!

Good luck

Beancounter

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Freind

If your vehical is not EFI, For carb model, It Seams to me that you have a flodding problem, open the air cleaner see if you see the fuel dripping or if its wet, have the carb flot checked, I cant tell if 200 model is EFI
cheers :thumbsup:
Vincent

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry Friend yours is a EFI Model, you should be looking the chip card(electronic card), which could be faulty, it controls the fuel injectors.

Cheers
Vincent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts