Suzuki Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just joining, so hello. I bought a 2000 GV V6 last month with 90k on the clock. It's a nice, one-owner example driven by an old man and babied for the last nine years. I've already fallen in love with it. I'm curious though—what's the biggest tires I can fit without any rubbing?

When I picked it up, it had 215/65r16s and the manual says 235/60r16 (I believe). I'm just trying to get an idea because I'm browsing for a new set and I haven't really found anything too good in the factory size. And of course, not knowing an awful lot about tire dimensions, I don't want to overdo it.

Thanks for the info in advance!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Why do you want to fit larger tyres- there are all sorts of other issues that could come into play if you decide to go larger? PS: There are a few options in 235/60R16

·
Super Moderator
18,256 Posts
Almost 60 views and nobody has any idea?
There's no correct hard and fast answer to your question as asked, is why. The best engineered size for your ride is posted on the nameplate in your door jamb and owners manual. Beyond that you take your chances.

If you want to get some ideas about changing sizes, simply search this forum. I just did in your year / model section myself and got 15 threads referenced using the word "tire size".

In a nut shell? What works for some, doesn't work for all. Going larger (width or height) is a crap shoot btwn rub and no rub and what you are willing to live with in regards to interference contact, speedo error, potential degradation in cornering / handling, changes in center of gravity, occupant #'s / gear carrying ability from weighted suspension pre-load, road noise from aggressive tread patterns, your budget, etc, etc.

No one can commit to your request in other words. Heck ! We don't even know if you are 2WD or 4WD :rolleyes: (which makes a difference in ground clearance / fit) or what your intentions are (mudding? rock crawling? daily driver / commuting? fuel economy?).

Are you willing to LIFT the vehicle? Obtain rims with a different off-set? Add (the often maligned) wheel spacers? Modify the plastic wheel trim surrounds or fender edge for clearance? That would add a TON of tire options (and heighten the frustration level in a lot of cases). :(

There are tire types, prices and sizes for every application my friend. ;)

But welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys.

To specify, it's a 4WD GV that will see about 70% commuting, and 30% off-roading. Nothing too serious, and nothing that will require a lift or any major modifications.

I know that stuffing massive tires on it will cause problems, but I should have been more specific. I was asking because on a lot of the online tire stores I've checked, there were so many different options for tire size. 235/65r16, 235/70r16, 245/75r16 and so on. And a lot of those options yielded more choices than the size stated in the manual. (Also, the size of the tires that came on my GV are different from the size in the manual, but a little research makes me believe the previous owner just asked his dealer for tires, and they sourced the tires recommended for the 2WD trucks).

Anyway, to clarify, I'm not looking for any serious off-road tires, and I'm not planning on modifying anything, more, trying to get an idea of how flexible those numbers are.

Thanks!

P.S. I've been looking at the fitment guide on Tire Rack and it's also helped to answer my question.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I run a 225/75-16 on mine - Also have a 30mm lift though, although i believe it would fit fine at stock height. I chose the size to gain a 25mm of extra height, as I spend some time in the sand here....
Slight rubbing in the front at full lock, a shiny bit on the chassis, and a shiny bit of plastic on the front of the inner guard, no other problems.
Speedo is 8% out with the new tyres.

·
Registered
12 Posts
with a 3" lift, the biggest tire i can fit is a 235/75/16. rubs the frame a little bit on real sharp wheel turns goin in reverse. they are Michelin XC4 and they are a good tire, with regular rotation i have about 15,000 on them and still have 13/32 tread all the way around, and thats with some good offroading. my speed is give or take 5mph slower off according to the gps. im tryin to find some pics of it since the tires/lift.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i have been using 225/70/16's for some time now, i have 1 1/8" coil spacers installed,on friday i will be getting a set of Toyo Open Country A/T,if i remember correctly these should fit a stocker with no issues.That being said not all of our zukis are 100% the same, and it may be possible that what fits on mine stock will not fit on yours.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
its the wives car so i would like to know does the fitting of bigger tyres has any influence on the handling of the car?
It most certainly will. More sidewall flex will mean more body roll and less precise handling, the brakes will have more trouble pulling up the vehicle and the acceleration will also be affected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Guys,

I own a 1999 GV V6
its the wives car so i would like to know does the fitting of bigger tyres has any influence on the handling of the car?
thanks
It does have an effect - but not as bad as some people would make out. I think the lift made more of a difference handling wise than the tyres did - although the Coopers I fitted are the LT rated ones with firmer sidewalls...
Mines also the wifes car - she thinks it handles great :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.