Suzuki Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
The engine used in the ALL of the 2.5 liter Grand Vitaras is the H25a, there are differences between the engines depending on the market, for example US markets required OBDII compliance several years before Australia did (Canada generally follows the US quite closely), which would explain why their exhausts don't have the catalytic converters or the second O2 sensor. There are also differences between engines in different years of production, for example, at least three different part numbers exist for the cylinder heads used in both the US & Australian vehicles, but those part numbers were used on both sides of the pacific during similar time periods.

Early production (SQ625W) Australian market vehicles used 11101-86FA0 (RH) and 11103-86FA0 (LH) - these would have been released to market before the US models.
Mid production (SQ625W-2) Australian market vehicles used 11101-86FA2 (RH) and 11102-86FA2 (LH), which corresponds with the 99~03 US models
Late production (SQ625W-3) Australian market vehicles used 11101-86FA4 (RH) and 11102-86FA4 (LH), which corresponds with the 04~05 US models

What I'm showing you here is that whilst there are differences, it's a different equipped engine, rather than a completely different engine.

Reactions: rallison203

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The engine used in the ALL of the 2.5 liter Grand Vitaras is the H25a, there are differences between the engines depending on the market, for example US markets required OBDII compliance several years before Australia did (Canada generally follows the US quite closely), which would explain why their exhausts don't have the catalytic converters or the second O2 sensor. There are also differences between engines in different years of production, for example, at least three different part numbers exist for the cylinder heads used in both the US & Australian vehicles, but those part numbers were used on both sides of the pacific during similar time periods.

Early production (SQ625W) Australian market vehicles used 11101-86FA0 (RH) and 11103-86FA0 (LH) - these would have been released to market before the US models.
Mid production (SQ625W-2) Australian market vehicles used 11101-86FA2 (RH) and 11102-86FA2 (LH), which corresponds with the 99~03 US models
Late production (SQ625W-3) Australian market vehicles used 11101-86FA4 (RH) and 11102-86FA4 (LH), which corresponds with the 04~05 US models

What I'm showing you here is that whilst there are differences, it's a different equipped engine, rather than a completely different engine.

Thanks for all the great info
I am so confused now about my engine/heads versus the Aussie ones
If the pics and measurements our members sent then these headers will not work without opening up the ports/flange on them
Looking thru rock auto for the GV the 2.5 and the 2.7 use the same gaskets and the same exhaust manifolds
I can only think that these were for a different cyl head than we get here as they said they would work on 2.5 only and not the 2.7 so since our manifolds here are the same ther must be a different cyl heads in Australia?????

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
According to the parts catalogs, the 2.5 & 2.7 engines used the same cylinder heads, so there is a variation based on the year of production, but not the engine size or the market they were built for.

The reason you're being told the Wildcat headers won't work on an Australian 2.5 but not the 2.7 is the Australian 2.5 was OBDI and did not have the catalytic converters in the exhaust manifold, the 2.7 was OBDII and used the exhaust with the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
According to the parts catalogs, the 2.5 & 2.7 engines used the same cylinder heads, so there is a variation based on the year of production, but not the engine size or the market they were built for.

The reason you're being told the Wildcat headers won't work on an Australian 2.5 but not the 2.7 is the Australian 2.5 was OBDI and did not have the catalytic converters in the exhaust manifold, the 2.7 was OBDII and used the exhaust with the catalytic converter.
So that makes sense for Australia but I still do not understand the difference in the ex port sizes from the Aussie 2.5 and the Canada/USA heads??
Would be interesting to see if Australia aftermarket parts use the same part numbers as here for Felpro or Mahle or???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
so here are the measurements i have so far and thanks again to our membership
exhaust port sizes on:
  • gaskets - 2 brands - 2.110 x 1.430 in
  • wildcat 2.5L headers 1.850 x 1.150
-approx port size on heads 1.862 x 1.354
- approx port size on exhaust manifolds 1.94 x 1.31.
may require some grinding!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
You've gone this far, why stop now??

·
Registered
847 Posts
What was your objective mtbowhunter, when considering these wildcat headers?? I'm curious now that you're into it.

Were you looking to save some money? Or were you looking for increased performance? If you're expecting any performance increase, wouldn't you also need to address increased intake and exhaust flow?

I'm curious, mainly because I'm looking at this myself.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Fordem, thanks for your research here. I'm trying to understand this.

Are you saying there are physical differences in the head assemblies as between the 99-03 vs 04-05 production years for the US/Canada markets? If so, do you know what those differences are? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
The parts numbers are different, so there is a difference between the heads, and no I can't tell you what it is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
i strictly did this to get around buying expensive new cats and the exhaust leaks and fumes
i now have the headers on (today!)and will report down the road on how i think it works
the biggest issue i am going to have to resolve is the heat, as there are no heatshields so will make some up but not on the headers but on the wheel wells to protect some of the plastic and rubber parts, some that i will relocate especially on the pass side
the ports turned out to be okay , they could of been slightly larger but were almost identical in size to the cyl head ports
one issue is they were touching the steering joiner fitting so we heated up that one pipe and pushed it in about 3/16 of an inch and so far okay
the y pipe that comes with it did not quite fit exactly and had to be spread about 1/4inch to fit
also the egr tube was shortened 1/1/4 inch and rewelded to fit as the new port was closer to the engine block, height was okay
not big things but enough to add a couple of hours to the project
the old manifolds came off nicely
i do not know if i would do it again as i did not think about the heat issue
i THANK ALL OF YOU who gave information and advise so much!!!
if i can figure out how to post pics i will eventually do a seperate post on it once i know if there were any bad querks that popped up

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Reactions: L84sky

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
View attachment 107826
I wrap my home's emergency generator exhaust with this stuff. It insulates very well.

View attachment 107827
I bought mine at NAPA. I was skeptical at first but I swear by it now.
T

thanks for the info
Should have done that before putting the headers on however on these the tubes lay back along the manifold flange and are very tight together would be very difficult to individually wrapped them might have to do them as a group

I have also heard that this stuff can cause your headers to rust out prematurely any ideas on that

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Only if they get wet....

41 - 54 of 54 Posts