Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, not my week!
i have been smelling ex vapors inside my GV
put a shop vac on blow into the ex pipe and sprayed soapy water around to find leaks
i had removed the ex manifold heat shields prior to this and i have 4 to 5 leaks PER side on the ex manifolds on the weld seams on the cyl head side., too many and too hard to get at to high temp epoxy patch
i had previously cleaned out the cats on the manifolds as they had gone south, mileage is 160,00kms

- how common is this cracking issue on the 2.5L engines?

- AND what are the chances of removing these manifolds WITHOUT breaking a stud in the cyl head???
love to hear from members that have removed these on the 2.5 engine and how that went and any tips
- and anyone who has a good set of manifolds they would part with, do not care about the condition of the cats.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,123 Posts
Epoxy will not hold up to the exhaust temps... Best you might do is to weld them with a nickel or nickel alloy rod..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i believe they are stainless steel
i would rather not get them welded as there are allot of leaks and i would be worried about warpage.
probably safer to get some used ones that are okay unless this is a common issue in these motors.
also did suzuki use this motor in other cars,etc that may have a more conventional exhaust manifold?

·
Super Moderator
19,793 Posts
New aftermarket manifolds are available, but I would source a junk yard pair of used ones. No they are not crack prone, so suitable replacements should not be too hard to source. Heck, I scrapped an old 2.5 (302K mile engine) recently WITH good manifolds attached!

·
Registered
847 Posts
love to hear from members that have removed these on the 2.5 engine and how that went and any tips
I've pulled these manifolds a couple of times, without incident. There are two studs and one bolt per exhaust port. All came out easily, including a couple of studs, which of course is not a problem. I do recommend taking care not to strip the 14mm nuts on the lower flange, however. Very difficult to remove those, once stripped.

I've had two manifolds welded, tho not on the upper flange. I believe my cracks were impact-related, and not the product of a faulty weld.

In WA state, junkyards are prohibited from selling used catalytic converters. At least that's what they tell me. So I typically buy mine from private sellers.

I have an aftermarket manifold / cat I'd sell you. I only have one, and I don't remember which side. I can look later. PM me if you're interested. I'm in NW Washington state.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good info guys, THANKS!!!
so when you removed those xhaust nuts/bolts do you presoak with nut loosener, special type of socket, etc.

i will try to source some here but i am just across the WA state border in BC and have a WA state shipping address if need be. let me know what side u have please just in case.

if i knew i would keep the GV for a long time i would get the Wildcat headers out of Australia as i could have them delivered here for less than 2 new ex manifolds but??
this GV has been much much more headaches than my 97 tracker, wish i had the 4cyl model instaed of the v6!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'll PM you.

·
Super Moderator
19,793 Posts
In WA state, junkyards are prohibited from selling used catalytic converters. At least that's what they tell me. So I typically buy mine from private sellers.
If that is the case, it must be applicable to only stand-alone main Cats, not those integral to the Exhaust Manifolds proper, as are needed here. ;)

·
Registered
847 Posts
If that is the case, it must be applicable to only stand-alone main Cats, not those integral to the Exhaust Manifolds proper, as are needed here. ;)
That's really good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lots of helpfull info on here and i sure appreciate it.
i will keep looking for some good used ex manifolds.
to bad you junked that motor MAX! maybe the salvage yard still has it?
will put info on classifieds on here
as said another option would be jus to remove them and get them welded but would hate to do all that work and just have them still leak as there are alo of leak spots and for some reason if they warped that would be bad

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just an update on my exhaust manifold hunt.
i used several online wreckers sites, plus emailed alot of wreckers , and posted on these sites classifieds
it has been awhile since i have looked for auto used auto parts
it has been a very frustrating experience
almost all of the places that answered or i checked either had nothing(all sold for the catalytics OR it was impossible to get them to email the details and info i asked for they all want to talk on the ph ,if you can understand them, they have the perfect part from the same year, feels like dealing with con artists. and want to make a quick sale, very hard to trust them and shipping isnt cheap so even with a warranty/guarante who wants to ship them back and start all over if they are incorrect or leak/cracked!
at this time it looks like i will be having Wildcat headers shipped from Australia for cheaper than the cheapest new manifolds and the same price as used ones.plus they come with the Y pipe which i would also need to buy .

·
Registered
847 Posts
just an update on my exhaust manifold hunt.
i used several online wreckers sites, plus emailed alot of wreckers , and posted on these sites classifieds
it has been awhile since i have looked for auto used auto parts
it has been a very frustrating experience
almost all of the places that answered or i checked either had nothing(all sold for the catalytics OR it was impossible to get them to email the details and info i asked for they all want to talk on the ph ,if you can understand them, they have the perfect part from the same year, feels like dealing with con artists. and want to make a quick sale, very hard to trust them and shipping isnt cheap so even with a warranty/guarante who wants to ship them back and start all over if they are incorrect or leak/cracked!
at this time it looks like i will be having Wildcat headers shipped from Australia for cheaper than the cheapest new manifolds and the same price as used ones.plus they come with the Y pipe which i would also need to buy .
Will they have O2 ports? If not, I'll be interested to know how you deal with that. Please post some photos if you can..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they have bungs for the top 02 sensors only
go to performanceexhaust.com.au, then in the search box put in wild714 or WILD714
to see the header
David there has been very helpful, including sending me measurments to see if it would clear the steering shaft.
just clearing up a few more things with him before making a decision

also, thank your rallison203 with all your help so far!!!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
they have bungs for the top 02 sensors only
go to performanceexhaust.com.au, then in the search box put in wild714 or WILD714
to see the header
David there has been very helpful, including sending me measurments to see if it would clear the steering shaft.
just clearing up a few more things with him before making a decision

also, thank your rallison203 with all your help so far!!!!!
You're very welcome.

So ok, the wildcat headers have the O2 bungs but no cat? How does that work?

I thought the reason the sensors are placed above and below the cats is to measure their efficiency. If there's no upper cat, won't the input value = output value?

·
Registered
464 Posts
If there's no upper cat, won't the input value = output value?
I'm no expert in this area but the way I understand it the upper O2 sensor is there to analyze the exhaust gases before they enter the catalytic converter. By measuring the level of oxygen present in the exhaust the PCM can sense if the air/fuel mixture sent to the engine is either too rich or too lean and subsequently make corrections by adjusting the pulse width sent to the fuel injectors. The converter is most efficient when the air/fuel ratio is 14.7:1 which is the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio for gasoline. The lower O2 sensor has no effect on engine performance. It's output signal should be essentially a straight line. As the catalytic converter degrades, the signal from the lower O2 sensor starts to look more like the upper sensor signal. When the the signals look too much alike the PCM (on my car) will set DTC's P0420 and/or P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (bank 1 and/or bank 2)).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts