Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my daughter a little Baleno Hatch :), 2000 model with 148k on the clock. Drives like a gem but is a bit noisey taking off in first and the same noise when you back off in 2nd and 3rd gear. 4th and 5th are fine with no noises heard.

Its sort of a whining / mild grinding noise almost like a wheel bearing that's shot, Im thinking throw-out bearing but would appreciate any advice / opinions.

Don't want the daughter breaking down and being stuck on the side of the road :(

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
A properly adjusted throwout bearing, even if defective, will only make noise when the clutch is depressed, because that is the only time it spins - if improperly adjusted so that it is in constant contact with the clutch, it will wear rapidly and then be noisy whenever it spins which, because it is in contact with the clutch, will be whenever the engine is running.

My guess would be transmission input shaft bearing, and if you're going to replace that, you might as well replace all the support bearings.

As step #1, I would check and if necessary top up the transmission lube level with the car all four wheels down on a level surface, if the lube level is low, that particular bearing is starved, and if you catch in time, you can sometimes save it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts