Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does 20 mpg seem about right for a 1995 2dr. 16v. 4x4-5speed Geo, with 3" lift, 31s on inverted rims?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes. Bigger tires need more power to turn them. Also need bigger brakes to stop them safely. More rotating mass. <<<<science class does pay off in real life.>>>>>

·
Registered
621 Posts
They had better be VERY heavy 31s. Are you adjusting your mileage for the increased distance traveled?

I get better than 20 on 33s...but they are light for the size. 22lb rims and 47lb tires.

If youre running interco tires...or an E rated tire...Your mileage takes a HUGE hit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah! Thanks smartass! I knew I was cutting down mpg with all those add ons, just was wondering if 20ish seemed too low. Thanks man.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, 20mpg seems about as good as I can get. The old rig does have 240,000 on it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Odd question, what weight oil are you running in the engine, trans, tranfer, and diff?

A heavy 40w in the engine will knock an mpg off. Anything more than a 90w in the others can also take a few mpg off.

Running 15w40, and 140w in the rest, there was some noticeable drag.

I like a thick 30 or thin 40 in the motor...but thats just me.

And I run the specced fluid in the transfer and diffs rather that the buckets of thick stuff I have on hand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 10w40, it was recommended for the high mileage motor. I don't know about the tranny and diff., but I plan on changing them soon. Your recommendation?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Some people like to run the synthetic in the diffs and such. I usually run coastal gl5 or if Im in a serious pinch supertech. They are cheap, meet the spec, and they are yellow metals safe.

10w40 from a decent brand is good. You can eek out a little extra mileage with a 5w30 high mileage oil. No idea why these motors are that sensitive to oil weights, never had anything else that was. In the wife's rig without her knowing which one is in there...she nets an extra mpg or two on average with the 5w30.

Mobil, valvoline, chevron, schaeffer, shell, pennzoil, exxon...all make a good product.

Im a little more partial to mobil super 5000 high mileage....but thats because I can get it cheap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I'll try the 5w30 when I change the oil next week! I'm putting 600+ miles on this rig every week....lots of oil changes in my future for the next year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts