Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2002 Suzuki Aerio new and after 2 years and 33000 miles it is what it is a cheap “econo box”. It’s great if it’s your first new car and you had nothing better before.

My Problems:
1) Warped brake rotors right of the stealer lot. Take it in during a routine oil change and without even looking at the car “it’s my fault!” and not covered under warranty but as “one time good will gesture” they agreed to cut the rotors for free.
2) At 11000 the heater blower assembly filled with water during a heavy rainstorm. Take it back to the stealer and get “It’s your fault because you park under a tree.” BS I said show me one leaf and I will pay the $400 to supposedly fix it. They couldn’t produce any evidence but stuck to their story. The stealer also claimed that the “clean out was part of routine maintenance” at $400 and should be done every 6K miles. Are they for real? Yet they could not produce any service bulletin and it is not listed anywhere in the owners manual! This prompted me to seek higher authority. After three days of frustrating phone calls to Suzuki NA I finally got a hold of the North East Regional manger. He told me that they basically had to go by the stealers word and warranty coverage was denied. I had to pay $89 for the so-called diagnostic work.
3) By 15000 miles the cut rotors were warping quite noticeably, again.
4) At 18000 replaced the chinsy factory tires with snow tires.
5) Went to the stealer to buy new front rotors and pads. One rotor took a week and the other an extra 2 because it had to be shipped direct from Japan. Both rotors were not covered with protective wax/grease so they were very badly rusted still sealed in the original plastic bag and box. Returned them back and ordered two new ones, another two weeks and same $h!t both badly rusted new rotors straight from the factory at $75 each. I got my money back and got Chinese rotors for $50 each, no rust and warpage!
6) Now the final straw at 33000 miles the severely undersized and poorly designed (no safety backup) ball joint popped out on a turn and caused $4000 worth of damage. Luckily this happened at low speed and not on a busy highway.

I finally got enough of Suzuki and think that I will be far better off driving an older used car once this heap of [email protected] returns from the body shop. Even now it is taking longer because Suzuki can’t seem to stock and ship parts on time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hardly sounds like a "heap of crap"...first rotora are to be seasoned...you cant just pull of the dealer lot into a big ol panic stop...but then again, maybe they had a problem with rotors...but I never would have purchased them from a dealer, nor his friggin pads! I may have had them do the service.

Do you have another Suzuki dealer any where near you? Cause I would have driven a 100 miles to another dealer and had them service the blower under warranty(youd be surprised how competative some shops are), warranty work pays shops pretty darn good!

What ball joint are you refering too? Ive never heard of anything like that happening to nay Aerio owner, and would be interested in learning more for future reference.

Point is though...sounds like your more upset with the service, get over it and find a new shop, its not like, with your 02, that youve got much warranty left anyways. Your complaints about your Aerio are minor...just sounds like your dealer/service department keeps screwing you and you took it...not only that but you keep going back for more...there are alot of resources for Aerio owners, surely I hope this isnt going to be your own post....but yet, its par for the course with this site! :angry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer that I bought my Suzuki from no longer sells Suzuki and they changed their management. Maybe the complaint I filed with Suzuki NA, Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection, etc. had something to do with. The front brakes I did myself and was no biggy. The blower has never filled with water since that one incident 22K miles ago so I don't know if it has been fixed or it was just a freak incident.

The ball joint was a total surprise to me :blink: since the car had passed the safety inspection two months before. The police and the tow truck operator both said that it was most likely a mechanical failure, either the ball joint or the lower control arm. After close inspection I realized that the ball-joint design is rather flimsy and quite undersized for a 2.0L engine. Also it is the left side that failed first a bit unusual since the right side usually goes first due to more beating that it typically receives from potholes, storm drains, puddles, end of pavement, trash, etc. I have done quite a few mechanical repairs on various makes and models. The Suzuki design s#cks because it has no safety backup in case of failure and can easily separate as was in my case. Some might argue that perhaps I have hit something but the tire is not damaged or flat. The same goes for the wheel which is not cracked, bent or deformed in any shape to suggest a collision with an immovable object. As a result I don’t feel safe and if I decide to keep the car I will probably have to replace the right side control arm at my own cost($250 Ouch! :eek: )

We'll see if Suzuki will pay for a new control arm or if it's going to be my fault again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Too bad to hear about your problems. I have 40K on my 02 Aerio SX which I purchased new. I had the brake clips replaced under warranty and a cracked catylitic converter replaced under warranty. Since then the car has been running fine. My wife today was commenting on how how much she loves her Aerio.

Philip

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, I recently traded my 2003 SX because I was fed up with going to the dealer literally twice a month for everything! The last straw was around 27K the clock/outside temp gauge backlight went out. The dealer ordered another and as I was there to have it replaced, I went to the showroom floor just waiting the salesman suggested that I take an 2005 for a test drive. Needless to say, I drove the 2005 LX home and never got back into the SX! I really think that my other car was built on a Friday evening! This new one is TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!!!! :clap:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now with 41K on the clock it happened again. :angry: Water in the blower motor. Seems that if I operate the AC/Defr on medium or high speed during a heavy downpour it just sucks in water.

Too bad this pile of ch!t wasn't totaled when the ball joint popped out, it was only $500 short.!

Another gripe to add are the trunk springs, can’t hold the lid open, drops on my head all the time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
21900 miles on my Aerio so far just replace front brakes, all tires to Hankook Optimo Plus II (great tires better traction then Yoko) and reflush ac then basic oil changes every 5000 miles. I have to go back to the dealer to fit my side mirrors but that because they shack when drive it could have been my Kicker system that started this. other then that I'm okay

·
Registered
79 Posts
take it easy shortbus i'm not asking for TSB's anyone I stood up and get my dealer to fix my issues. It's all good by the way how was your 4th?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Whos uneasy? Just tellin you its common and that there is a fix for it. :57:

My 4th? Totally avoided the fireworks thing, had several brews and then enjoyed a nice meal...had intentions of partying, but just wasnt feelin it on Monday, my weekend was full of partying.

[edit]and just because youre not asking for it, I'll post it anyways :grin:
Aerio 06 12144 Driver and/or Passenger Side Mirror Loose 2002-2004 12/14/2004[edit]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I also had the lower control arm snap. The one side of the control arm first(it was rusted and easy to see had happened awhile ago) and the other going around a corner up our road. I was going slow also. I found it interesting that when I called junk yards to replace it(I didnt want to turn it into the ins.), there were alot of them that thought they had one but the control arms were all broke after they took them off. I had to get a new one. Has this been a problem?

Bluestonebas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts