Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to lift a lil bit for tire clearance. I have addressed the steering issue by doubling the rubber connector and longer bolts, keeps that line correct.
However, what do I need to do to correct the shifter issue with a 2 inch lift? Right now it shifts stiff and when you let off the gas it pops out of some gears (it never did this before)

I am also looking to replace the tired, smoking engine that is currently in it. any suggestions?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Anything to do with shifting I would check the shift sheet first and make sure it didnt go south.

Are you running non-synthetic old school GL4?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I ended up rebuilding my trans with OEM synchros and bearings and tried the off the shelf GL5, compatible with GL4. Nope, felt like a tired old trans still. I gave it around 1500 miles and it was just unacceptable to me after spending the time and $$. I went and ordered the fully synth Redline GL4 (no pretense of GL5) and the result was only marginally better. After some research I ended up at the Ford dealer getting the no frills plain ol' GL4. Now she shifts like she should, feels like a fresh trans. I'll attach a pic. In my experience the special fancy oil is exactly what a Samurai does NOT need. Auto parts stores mostly dont touch the old GL4 anymore, a stealership is where to get it.

Although I dont think fluid choice is causing it to pop out of gear since it came up I wanted to add this. No special fluid required, just the old ass stuff it was designed to use turned out to be the winning ticket in my Sami.

May I ask what sort of lift you installed, is it a SPOA, a kit from one of the usual vendors?

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am also looking to replace the tired, smoking engine that is currently in it. any suggestions?
1.6L 16v Tracker engine!!:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
I cant see how a body lift could effect shifting or transmission function since it doesn't eff up any driveline angles. I have never seen a body lift on a Sami before but I assume that the bodywork around the shifter being raised 2" would not effect shifter range needed to make a full shift.

I know this is reaching but check clutch cable routing since that might move with a lift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took loose the shifter boot and it shifts fine now. natural relax position is almost a 1/2 to the rear so I will need to fab up a new boot mounting system

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Either that or bend the lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts