Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum-

Has anyone deal with this TSB? Apparently, if the drive belt tension is wrong it can cause the crankshaft to oscillate, thus creating an audible lower engine "knock" sound. Re-adjusting the drive belts tension is said to minimize (not eliminate) it. Has anyone been to the garage to correct this issue? Were they able to minimize it for you? It's for the 06-08 2.7 V6 models.

I had my belts re-torqued, but I think they did it wrong because the knock is still there. Or I have a shot rod bearing. It acts like a bad main bearing because you wont hear the knock until the engine it warmed up. I hope it's not a rod.......

TSB: Knocking Suzuki Grand Vitara - Automotive Service Professional

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2008 2.7 that I had a knock, sounded as it came from inside engine
went to dealer and they replaced plastic tensioners with metal ones which was a recall on all 2.7s about 3 months later went in for service and got knock back went back to dealer and found that tech that checked tensions he did not know that suzuki had changed tension specs again and he had put them at old specs. he redid it no problem since, maybe this might be your problem...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for posting this, my 2006 has been to the shop three times for this, now I can present him with a printed copy of the TSB. I thought the motor was toast! :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn belts

Thanks for posting this, my 2006 has been to the shop three times for this, now I can present him with a printed copy of the TSB. I thought the motor was toast! :lol:
I thought mine was toast as well, but it just didn't add up. The knock is intermittent at idle and goes away when revving the engine. So, not a rod. It doesn't sound like a top end lifter problem either. Must be the belt tension. I'll have it in the shop again to try and fix it.

Madscotsman-

Are we the only 2 US NGV enthusiasts? I've seen your posts on Zukiworld NGV forum........

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I had a similar knock on my '11 Diesel. Sounded just like play in a crank shaft bearing. Almost like a road crew breaking rock.

Worst just above idle on a hot motor (900 to 950 RPM) then disappeared above that.

Turned out to be a failing power steering pump. Diagnosed by when you loaded up the pump, knock disappeared. Also, you could feel the knock in the PS return pipe. New PS pump and noise gone.

Not sure on the accessories belt setup on the 2.7V6 (1.9 DDIS just runs a single serpentine belt) but I'm thinking it's possble that any out of spec pulley, be it component (alternator, A/C compressor etc) or tensioner, driven from the crank shaft has the potential to create a noise that resembles a lower end bearing knock, but in fact it's not.

Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Belt tension

Not sure if this helps but I had a similar knock on my '11 Diesel. Sounded just like play in a crank shaft bearing. Almost like a road crew breaking rock.

Worst just above idle on a hot motor (900 to 950 RPM) then disappeared above that.

Turned out to be a failing power steering pump. Diagnosed by when you loaded up the pump, knock disappeared. Also, you could feel the knock in the PS return pipe. New PS pump and noise gone.

Not sure on the accessories belt setup on the 2.7V6 (1.9 DDIS just runs a single serpentine belt) but I'm thinking it's possble that any out of spec pulley, be it component (alternator, A/C compressor etc) or tensioner, driven from the crank shaft has the potential to create a noise that resembles a lower end bearing knock, but in fact it's not.

Cheers
Wes

Wes-

I look into those items as well. I have noticed that turning on the AC will reduce the knock, but I haven't listened around the PS pump. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi guys/gals

Thank you for this information on the v6 model.Sad thing is when i took my 2008 vitatra to a suzuki dealer ,this was not mentioned about belt tensioners and settngs. My advice was for a $1000 they would strip engine to give me a report on what was wrong . Ill will tae this thread with code errors and present them to the dealership .

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts